Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) It shall be unlawful for a person to possess any of the following in a County park: "explosives," as defined in Health and Safety Code section 12000, "fireworks," as defined in Health and Safety Code section 12511, a "firearm" as defined in Penal Code section 12001, an air gun, bow or crossbow designed to shoot arrows, slingshot, paintball gun, blowgun or throwing knife.
(b) The Department may, however, grant written authorization:
(1) To a group to practice archery in a designated area of a County park.
(2) To allow bows and arrows to be carried during an historical reenactment.
(3) To allow "antique firearms," as defined in 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(16), to be carried and discharged using blank ammunition, during an historical reenactment, upon satisfactory proof that all State and federal firearms regulations have been and will be complied with.
(4) To allow a mentored, juniors-only turkey hunt for up to 20 juniors and their mentors, using shotguns or bows and arrows, at Santa Ysabel East Preserve for a maximum of two days per year during a State-established juniors-only turkey hunting season, subject to all applicable State and federal laws and regulations.
(5) To allow the possession and use of a firearm or any other weapon listed in subsection (a) above to control any invasive, non-native animal in a County park that the Director determines is causing significant damage to the environment including, but not limited to, native plants and/or animals, provided the authorization complies with all applicable federal and state law. The authorization may include conditions to ensure the safety of the public, including, but not limited to a limit on the time when and/or the area where the person may possess and use the firearm, and specification of the type of firearm or weapon that may be used. Before granting an authorization, the department shall consider the environmental resources in the area where the animal is likely to be found. The authorization shall include conditions to protect any significant environmental resources, including sensitive plants or animals, in that area.
(c) The prohibition on the possession and use of a firearm in subdivision (a) above does not apply to the following persons when acting in the course and scope of their employment: any peace officer as defined by state law, any federal law enforcement officer including, but not limited to, an employee of U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, or any other governmental employee or his or her agent who is authorized to carry a firearm.
(Amended by Ord. No. 6370 (N.S.), effective 7-8-82; amended by Ord. No. 9494 (N.S.), effective 9-13-02; amended by Ord. No. 9890 (N.S.), effective 10-26-07; amended by Ord. No. 10122 (N.S.), effective 3-10-11; amended by Ord. No. 10197 (N.S.), effective 2-24-12; amended by Ord. No. 10351 (N.S.), effective 9-5-14; amended by Ord. No. 10412 (N.S.), effective 2-26-16)
Cross reference(s)--Fireworks, § 32.101 et seq.