Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Parking and Garage Facilities. Private and storage garages and open off-street parking areas shall be permitted on each lot in the RR-V District, and within the building envelope in the RR-2 and RR-3 Districts, as provided for in Section 1273.10, if accessory to a dwelling or if the use is considered and approved as a conditional use in accordance with the standards and regulations set forth in Section 1262.07 of this Planning and Zoning Code.
(b) Home Professional Offices. An office may be permitted in Rural Residential Districts in the home of a person practicing any of the recognized professions, including, but not limited to, an accountant, architect, artist, engineer, lawyer, musician, physician, realtor, appraiser, photographer, planner or mental health counselor, provided that:
(1) No more than one assistant, other than members of the resident family, works therein.
(2) The residential character of the dwelling exterior shall not be changed.
(3) No equipment shall be used which will create objectionable disturbances beyond the premises.
(4) The number of automobiles attracted to the premises shall not exceed five automobile spaces (excluding enclosed garage spaces) per each 1,500 square feet of the main building.
(c) Home Occupations. Gainful home occupations may be permitted in Rural Residential Districts, including dressmaking, interior decorating, arts and crafts, or any other similar home occupations, but excluding uses permitted as commercial or industrial uses, and may be conducted in the dwelling used by such person as his or her residence, provided that:
(1) No more than one assistant, other than members of the household, is employed therein.
(2) No window display or signboard is used to advertise such occupation, except that the nameplate provided for in Section 1284.07(a) may designate such occupation thereon.
(3) The occupation must be conducted wholly within the dwelling.
(4) No merchandise is sold except that which is produced on the premises.
(5) No equipment is used which will create objectionable disturbances beyond the premises.
(6) The space used for sale and production does not occupy more than twenty-five percent of the dwelling unit area.
(7) The use does not change the residential character of the dwelling exterior.
(8) The use does not require the storage of any equipment, materials or vehicles outside the main building.
(d) Renting of Rooms. The renting from a resident family, of not more than one room to not more than one person, shall be permitted.
(e) Gardens and Pets. The raising for private use of fruits, vegetables or nursery stock, and the keeping of pets, is permitted in Rural Residential Districts, provided that:
(1) Household pets shall be construed to include dogs, cats, canaries, parakeets, fish and other regular domestic animals and birds. As used herein, household pets shall not be construed to include cows, bulls, swine, sheep, goats, rabbits, fowl, snakes, bees or pigeons and other domesticated animals, or tamed wild animals or birds.
(2) Upon the issuance of a permit by the Building Commissioner, not more than ten horses, mules or donkeys (not for commercial use) per parcel of land will be permitted in the Rural Residential District. No piles or accumulations of refuse and/or manure from any animals will be permitted within 250 feet of any street or highway or within 150 feet of any dwelling. Minimum lot size for one horse is two acres and one additional acre for each horse. The grazing of horses must be confined to an area that is fenced and meets the requirements outlined in Chapter 1467.
(f) Barns and/or Stables. Any accessory building used in conjunction with the keeping of horses must be a minimum of 250 feet from any street or highway or development boundary line and 150 feet from any dwelling.
(g) Pools. Pools must be located within the building envelope as provided for in Section 1273.10, when applicable, in the RR-2 and RR-3 Districts.
(h) Fences. Fences and walls are permitted subject to the requirements of Chapter 1467 .
(Ord. 95-150. Passed 10-3-95; Ord. 15-11. Passed 1-20-15.)