Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The outdoor display of products or materials intended for retail sale or rental may be permitted only in CBD, MXD, B-1 and B-2 Districts, subject to the following conditions:
(a) General Standards.
(1) An outdoor display shall be considered as an accessory use to the principal use conducted on the premises.
(2) The exterior of the premises shall be kept clean, orderly and maintained.
(3) The City shall not be held liable or responsible for any type of damage, theft or personal injury that may occur as a result of an outdoor display.
(4) In the administration of these provisions, the Zoning Administrator shall be permitted to refer a request to the Planning Commission for review and approval where site conditions may create difficulty in adherence to the standards contained herein.
(5) For any outdoor display that requires a tent, a Building Permit shall be required to be obtained prior to installing the tent and the Fire Marshal shall inspect the tent prior to use.
(b) Standards Within CBD Districts.
(1) An outdoor display shall be located directly adjacent to the establishment. An outdoor display that extends beyond the property lines of the applicant shall require the permission of the affected property owners.
(2) If an outdoor display is located on a public sidewalk, a minimum of five (5) feet of unobstructed, pedestrian access along the sidewalk shall be maintained. Sufficient room shall also be provided to allow car doors to open along the curbside. An outdoor display on a public sidewalk shall be confined to normal business hours.
(c) Standards Within MXD, B-1 and B-2 Districts.
(1) An outdoor display may be located within any required yard but shall not be located within any public road right-of-way.
(2) An outdoor display shall not occupy or obstruct the use of any fire lane, required off-street parking or landscaped area required to meet the requirements of this Zoning Ordinance.
(d) Building Materials, Nursery Stock and Garden Supplies.
(1) Outdoor sales areas shall not be located within the required frontsetback, except for sales of living nursery stock. Ornamental displays associated with the sale of nursery stock shall be permitted; however, in no case shall the outdoor storage or sale of bulk materials, such as topsoil, mulch or gravel, whether packaged or not, be permitted within the front yardsetback.
(2) Outdoor sale and display areas that abut residentially zoned or used property shall be screened in accordance with Section 5.10.