Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Pursuant to action of the board of commissioners, the following specifications and regulations for fire hydrants in areas both within and outside the city limits shall be followed before water service will be granted by the city, subject to changes upon reasonable notice:
(1) In all residential areas, hydrants shall be installed not more than four hundred (400) feet apart.
(2) In all mixed business and residential areas, hydrants shall be installed not more than three hundred (300) feet apart.
(3) In business and light industrial areas, hydrants shall be installed not more than three hundred (300) feet apart. In areas zoned for heavy industrial areas, hydrants shall be installed not more than two hundred fifty (250) feet apart. The latter applies to industrial foundation property as well as other heavy industrial areas. No exceptions to this requirement will be made, and owners or operators of industries shall be responsible for following these regulations.
(4) Fire hydrants shall be installed by developers of subdivisions or property owners in all planned residential, business and/or industrial areas to be served by water supplied by the city if such areas are, at any point, within a 1.5-mile radius from any point in the city limits line of the city.
(5) All installed hydrants shall be inspected and tested by the city fire department and certified and approved by such department to the city manager, before final approval for furnishing water shall be given.
(Code 1977, § 11.080; Ord. No. 1289, § I, 5-12-81; Ord. No. 1317, § 1(8), 6-28-83)
Cross reference—Fire prevention and protection generally. Ch. 6.