Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The village encourages its employees to further their education and, therefore, will reimburse tuition as set forth in this section.
(1) Only full-time employees are entitled to participate in the tuition reimbursement program. An employee must make application for reimbursement to the Administrative Committee in time for the Administrative Committee to rule on the application prior to commencement of the course work.
(2) An employee who takes a course is required to obtain a license or certification required for the employee to perform his or her job responsibilities is entitled to 100% tuition reimbursement upon receiving a passing grade in any such course from a suitable institution.
(3) An employee electing to take course work not required for but related to the employee's job responsibilities is eligible to partial tuition reimbursement according to the grade received by the employee from a suitable institution, as follows:
Percent of Reimbursement
D or F
(4) The Administrative Committee shall in its sole discretion determine whether or not course work meets the criteria of subdivisions (2) and (3) and whether the institution selected by the employee is suitable. The Administrative Committee shall notify the employee of its findings in writing prior to the employee commencing the course work. Any adverse decision by the Administrative Committee may be appealed by the employee to the Board.
(5) On completion of an approved course the employee shall submit to the Committee:
(a) An official grade notice;
(b) A copy of the official fee schedule;
(c) A copy of a canceled check or other proof of payment;
(d) Prior written authorization from the Administrative Committee.
(B) The Committee shall approve reimbursement of any properly submitted application. Reimbursement is limited to tuition only and does not include other costs such as books, travel, health fees, late fees, application fees, and the like.
(C) As a condition of receiving tuition reimbursement, each applicant shall sign an agreement providing that if the employee voluntarily terminates his or her employ, the employee shall reimburse the Village for educational costs paid within the previous 24 months of the date of departure, and that such sums may be withheld from the employees final paycheck.
(Ord. 92-11, passed 4-28-92; Am. Ord. 94-59, passed 9-27-94; Am. Ord. 02-55, passed 1-14-03)