Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The purpose of the NPZ Design Review Procedure is to ensure compliance with the requirements of this ordinance and the applicable NPZ.
1. An NPZ Design Review is required of all that:
a. Is zoned NRX-1, NRX-2, NR-1, NR-2, NR-3, NRH, NSR, and NSH;
b. Requires a permit; and,
c. Is visible from a that is not classified as an , unless the PDSD makes a finding that a proposed ’s visibility from the is so minimal as to be immaterial for purposes of the application of this section.
2. Compliance with the privacy standards of the applicable design manual is required when the following types of are proposed to existing single story residences:
a. Construction of a multistory residence;
b. Addition of a story to an existing residence; or,
c. Additions to existing second or higher stories.
3. An NPZ Design Review is not required of the following:
a. Interior renovations or construction within the interior of a ;
b. maintenance, repairs, or painting or minor , such as window or door or replacements, or minor additions to an existing residence that do not affect the external appearance of the as seen from the ; or,
c. Exterior that is not visible from the , except the Privacy Measures, Section 5.10.3.A.2, apply to any proposed that exceeds the height of residential on properties.
4. Where there is a conflict between the standards of the applicable Historic Preservation (HPZ) and the standards of the NPZ, the standards of the HPZ prevail.
B. Pre-Application Conference
A pre-application conference between the applicant, the PDSD, and the is required when are required to be reviewed in accordance with the NPZ Design Review Procedure. The purpose of the pre-application conference is to review the and identify all applicable requirements, including the Review Standards, and whether privacy is required.
Submittal of an application to the PDSD is required in order to process the request. Applications are reviewed for completeness. If an application is rejected, the applicant may resubmit the application.
Accepted applications are forwarded to PDSD staff and the . The PDSD staff reviews the application for compliance with applicable requirements. The reviews the application to determine compliance with the neighborhood specific design manual.
1. within a ’s as determined by Section 11.4.5 (Definitions - D) shall be used when identifying the Review Standards.
2. If the for the proposed does not contain , the shall be expanded in every direction until the includes at least one .
3. The shall consider the relative impact and intensity of the proposed when reviewing the application and in rendering his or her findings and recommendations.
4. Approval of proposed may be subject to special conditions to provide for compliance with the Review Standards.
E. Findings and Recommendation
The shall submit a written report that includes the Review with findings and a recommendation to the PDSD .
F. PDSD Decision
The PDSD shall review the application and render a decision finding compliance or noncompliance with the NPZ and the neighborhood specific design manual within five of receiving the ’s report.
G. Notice of Decision
Notice of the decision shall be mailed to the applicant, property owners within 100 feet of the subject , and to the that includes the subject within three of the date of the decision.
H. Appeal to the Design Review Board (DRB)
A may appeal the PDSD ’s decision on NPZ Design Review applications. Appeals are considered by the Design Review Board in accordance with Section 3.9.1, Design Review Board (DRB) Appeal Procedure. A notice of intent to appeal must be received y the PDSD within 14 of the effective date of the ’s decision. The complete appeals material must be filed within 30 of the effective date of the decision. An appeal under this section shall be based upon an error in the ’s decision finding compliance or noncompliance with the neighborhood specific design manual and review standards.
I. Appeal to the Board of Adjustment (B/A)
A may submit an appeal of the DRB’s decision to the B/A in accordance with Sections 3.10.1 and 3.10.2, Board of Adjustment Appeals Procedure. A notice of intent to appeal must be received by PDSD within 14 of the effective date of the DRB’s decision. The complete appeals material must be filed within 30 of the effective date of the decision.
(Am. Ord. 11732, 2/19/2020)