Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The GCZ standards apply to the following uses on all property, any portion of which abuts or is to a designated on the ’s or ’s :
A. New ;
B. Changes of use, including new occurring on vacant land; or,
C. Uses of land or legally existing as of June 27, 1988, that are expanded in , , parking, seating capacity, or any other expansion of use, as listed below. Exception. Expansion of for a nonconforming existing use that increases the number of spaces to the minimum required by the for that use is exempt from counting toward the 25% expansion.
1. If the expansion is less than 25%, the GCZ applies to the proposed expansion. The remainder of the use or shall be governed by provisions in force at the time of initial approval for the use or ;
2. If the expansion is 25% or more, the GCZ applies to the proposed expansion and to the parking and standards that apply to the overall ; or,
3. Expansions that occur after June 27, 1988, shall be cumulated in determining the 25% expansion.
D. When one or more of the standards of the MS&R , the , or the Scenic Corridor (SCZ) apply to the same , the most restrictive standards apply.
E. At intersections where a and intersect, review and standards of the apply for 700 feet along the from each side of the intersection. The 700 feet shall be measured from the of the . This does not apply to Article 7A, Sign Standards.
F. The following are exempt from the application of the standard:
1. Utility facilities constructed or installed in accordance with a certificate of environmental issued prior to June 27, 1988, under the authority of A.R.S. Title 40, Chapter 2, Article 6.2;
2. Single- legally existing on June 27, 1988; or,
3. within the .
G. Where widening of a is planned for construction within three years after the date of a permit application, is not required to be implemented until the road has been completed, provided the developer posts to ensure compliance.
(Am. Ord. 11803, 12/8/2020)