Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A collector providing single-family collection service and/or multi-family/commercial collection service pursuant to a SWMA or NEFA shall comply with all of the following requirements, subject to exceptions to this requirement as identified in section 68.550(a)(5):
(1) In densely-populated areas, collector shall collect solid waste, recyclable materials, and organic materials from customers that voluntarily subscribe to collector's services. Collector shall provide collection services to single-family customers once per week. Collector shall provide collection service to multi-family and commercial customers at a frequency to be agreed on by its customer provided that solid waste and organic materials are collected by collector at least once per week and recyclables materials are collected by collector at least once per week, unless every other week collection authorized by applicable law or regulations and approved by the Director.
(2) In sparsely-populated areas, collector shall collect solid waste, recyclable materials, and organic materials from customers that voluntarily subscribe to collector's services. A collector may collect solid waste from its customers at a frequency as agreed upon by the customer, but not less than once per week, unless every other week collection is authorized by applicable law or regulations and approved by the Director.
(3) In sparsely-populated areas, a collector that offers solid waste collection service is required to offer collection service for designated recyclable materials to its solid waste customers. Collector shall collect recyclable materials from its customers at a frequency as agreed upon by the customer, but not less than every other week. Collector shall provide solid waste and recyclables collection service only to customers that subscribe to this service.
(4) In sparsely-populated areas, a collector that offers solid waste collection service is required to offer collection services for designated organic materials to its multi-family and commercial customers that generate two (2) cubic yards or more of total solid waste, recyclable materials, and organic materials per week (or other threshold defined by the state). Collector is not required to offer to collect organic materials from other customers in the sparsely-populated areas, but may provide these services at its option to customers that subscribe to this service. Collector shall collect organic materials in the sparsely-populated areas at a frequency as agreed upon by the customer, but at least weekly. Collector shall provide organic materials collection services only to customers that subscribe to this service.
(5) Collector is not required to provide a single-family, multi-family, or commercial customer with recyclable materials or organic materials collection services if the customer has secured a waiver from the County pursuant to article VII of this chapter or is exempt pursuant to section 68.570(b).
(6) A collector providing service within a specific geographic area shall provide that service to any customer who requests the service and who agrees to pay the collector's rates with the exception of the collector's right to refuse services pursuant to section 68.547.
(b) At the time a collector begins providing service to a customer and at least every six months thereafter, a collector shall notify its customers about the regulations governing disposal of recyclables, organic waste, solid waste, hazardous waste, and toxic waste. The notice shall mention regulations that have changed since the last notice. Collector shall also send a copy of each six-month notice to the Director when distributing this notice to customers. When a collector begins providing service under a SWMA or NEFA, the collector shall file a copy of the notice it uses with the Director and whenever it changes the notice it shall provide the Director with a copy of the revised notice. Collector shall comply with all other noticing and public outreach requirements in accordance with the requirements of the SWMA or NEFA.
(c) Collector shall collect designated C&D recyclable materials at a frequency determined by customer and collector.
(d) Collector shall transport recyclable materials, organic materials, solid waste, C&D, and other discarded materials to facilities approved in accordance with the collector's SWMA or NEFA.
(e) No collector shall deliver for disposal any designated recyclable materials or any designated organic materials that are source separated by customer or generator.
(f) Collector shall perform all other services required in the SWMA or NEFA.
(Added by Ord. No. 10729 (N.S.), effective 6-4-21)