Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Small wireless facilities located on decorative poles or in a historic or design district shall, in addition to any other requirements of this chapter, meet the following design standards:
A. Decorative Poles: If necessary to collocate a small wireless facility, a wireless provider may replace a decorative pole, if the replacement pole reasonably conforms to the design aesthetic of the displaced decorative pole as approved by the Planning Manager. A replacement pole does not reasonably conform to the design aesthetic if it extends the current pole height by more than twenty five percent (25%).
B. Historic And Design Districts: Within a historic district or design district:
1. A wireless provider shall participate in a pre-application meeting with the City's planning staff and obtain design approval from the City before collocating a new small wireless facility or installing a new utility pole in an area that is zoned or otherwise designated as a historic district or a design district.
2. City's preference in historic and design districts is for small wireless facilities to be located on traffic signal poles at intersections.
3. The City may, require a reasonable, technically feasible, nondiscriminatory, or technologically neutral design or concealment measure, unless the facility is excluded from evaluation for effects on historic properties under 47 CFR section 1.1307(a)(4).
4. All small wireless facilities shall, to the extent possible, use design techniques including, but not limited to the use of materials, colors, textures, screening, undergrounding, or other design options that will blend the small wireless facilities to the surrounding natural setting and built environment. Design, materials and colors of small wireless facilities shall be compatible with the surrounding environment. Designs shall be compatible with structures and vegetation located in the right- of-way and on adjacent parcels.
5. Should the Planning Manager determine that such design meets the intent of this Code and the community is better served thereby, the design shall include the use of camouflage measures such as man-made trees, clock towers, bell steeples, light poles, traffic signals, buildings, and similar alternative design mounting structures that are compatible with the natural setting and surrounding structures, and conceals the presence of antennas or poles so as to make them architecturally compatible with the surrounding area pursuant to this chapter.
6. A design or concealment measure described in subsection B2 of this section may not:
a. Have the effect of prohibiting a provider's technology; or
b. Be considered a part of the small wireless facility for purposes of the size parameters in the definition of a small wireless facility.
(Ord. 2018-27, 8-28-2018)