Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Compare to:
   (Amended by Ord. No. 150,478, Eff. 2/6/78.)
   (a)   No person shall make, construct, alter, or repair any house connection sewer, bonded house connection sewer, special house connection sewer, industrial waste sewer connection, industrial waste storm drain connection, storm drain connection, or special drainage connection, or any portion of any such sewer or storm drain connections, including sampling maintenance holes, or connect any house sewer, soil pipe, or plumbing to any such sewer or storm drain connections or to a sewer or storm drain under the jurisdiction of the City of Los Angeles, without first obtaining a written permit therefor from the Board of Public Works.
   (b)   Persons desiring to obtain a permit for any of the purposes enumerated in Sections 64.12 to 64.22 inclusive, shall file with the Board a written application therefor signed by the applicant, on printed forms, furnished by it for that purpose. The application shall contain such information as the Board may require. If it appears from the application that the work to be performed thereunder is to be done according to the regulations contained or referred to in this article, governing the doing of such work, a permit shall be issued upon payment of the permit charges required or referred to in Section 64.15.
   (c)   The Board before granting any permit in accordance with the provisions of Sections 64.12 to 64.22 inclusive, which will necessitate any excavation in, upon or under any State highway in this City or the making of a connection to a sewer or house connection sewer for which a permit is also required from a County Sanitation District, or a political subdivision other than this City, shall require such permit to be presented for inspection.
   (d)   Nothing in this section shall be deemed or construed to require the application for or the issuance of a permit for the purpose of removing stoppages in any house connection sewer, except when it is necessary to replace any part or all of such sewer connection or to excavate in any street or sidewalk or sewer easement in connection therewith.
   (e)   A permit under which an excavation, tunnel, or the laying of sewer, or storm drain pipe in any public street is contemplated will be issued only to other departments of the City, other governmental agencies, or contractors holding a valid contractor’s license issued by the Contractors’ License Board of the State of California in the classification of A-1 General Engineering, B-1 General Building, C-36 Plumbing, or C-42 Sewer, Sewage Disposal, Drain, Cement Pipe Laying. (Added by Ord. No. 121,900, Eff. 6/4/62.)
   EXCEPTION: A permit for making sewer connections at the property line may be issued to any responsible person when in the opinion of the Board, the granting of such permit will not endanger public property or jeopardize the public’s interests.
   (f)   Any person performing work pursuant to a permit issued under this section shall comply with all the provisions of Section 62.03.1 of this Code. (Added by Ord. No. 150,478, Eff. 2/6/78.)