Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose. The purpose of the site plan is to ensure compliance with the Zoning Ordinance and to assist in the orderly and harmonious development of the city, to protect and enhance the general welfare, and to help prevent the impairment or depreciation of land values and development by the erection of structures, additions, or alteration thereto without proper attention to site planning. The purpose of the site plan review is:
(1) To ensure compliance with the Zoning Ordinance, while allowing for design flexibility;
(2) To assist in the orderly and harmonious development of the city;
(3) To protect adjacent uses from obstructions to light, air, and visibility;
(4) To provide protection from fire;
(5) To avoid undue concentrations of population and overcrowding of land; and
(6) To facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewage, drainage, and other public requirements.
(B) When required. If, in the determination of the Planning and Zoning Commission or City Council, a site plan is deemed necessary in order to elevate a proposed use, or as required under any other provision of this section, such site plan shall be submitted in the form and number as required by the Planning and Zoning Commission.
(C) Contents. The site plan shall contain drawings to scale to indicate as needed:
(1) The location of all existing and planned structures on the subject property and approximate locations of structures on adjoining property within 100 feet;
(2) Landscaping lighting, and/or fencing, and/or screening of yards and setback areas;
(3) Design of ingress and egress;
(4) Off-street parking and loading facilities;
(5) Location of fire lanes;
(6) Location of solid waste collection facilities;
(7) Height of all structures;
(8) Proposed uses;
(9) The location and types of all signs, including lighting and heights;
(10) Elevation drawings citing proposed exterior finish materials;
(11) Street names on proposed streets; and
(12) Additional information and detail as the Zoning Administrator deems necessary.
(D) Approval. The City Council, after review and recommendation by the Architectural Review Board and the Planning and Zoning Commission, may approve a site plan if the proposed development meets all the minimum standards established in this subchapter and other applicable ordinances, and if the Council finds that the proposed development will not be detrimental to the health, safety, or welfare of the surrounding neighborhood or its occupants, or be substantially or permanently injurious to neighboring property. It shall disapprove or conditionally approve any application that fails to meet the above criteria or is in conflict with the Comprehensive Plan or the adopted growth policies of the city.
(E) Submission to Architectural Review Board and Planning and Zoning Commission for review. The site plan shall be submitted to the City Secretary two weeks prior to the regularly scheduled Architectural Review Board, and then the Planning and Zoning Commission for review. The Building Official or his designee shall review these plans as quickly as possible, but in no case shall he or she delay submission beyond one Architectural Review Board and Planning and Zoning Commission meeting. The Architectural Review Board shall recommend to the Planning and Zoning Commission that the site plan be approved, disapproved, or approved with modifications, including the imposition of conditions by making findings in accordance with the standards contained in this chapter and such additional standards as may be adopted and published from time to time. The Planning and Zoning Commission may remand the site plan back to the Architectural Review Board or make its recommendation to the City Council that the site plan be approved, disapproved, or approved with modifications, including the imposition of conditions by making findings in accordance with the standards contained in this chapter and the Comprehensive Plan. The Architectural Review Board and Planning and Zoning Commission shall then submit a formal report containing its recommendations to the City Council.
(2005 Code, § 12-3-1) (Ord. 181127B, 11-27-2018; Ord. 181211B, passed 12-11-2018)