Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All parking areas and spaces shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the following requirements.
(A) All parking areas and spaces shall be designed and constructed so as to have free ingress and egress at all times.
(B) No parking space or parking area shall be designed so as to require a vehicle to back into a public street or across a public sidewalk, except in the case of one and two-family dwelling units.
(C) Minimum dimensions for off-street parking:
(1) Ninety-degree angle parking: each parking space shall not be less than nine feet in width and 18 in length. Maneuvering shall be not less than 24 feet. Designed small car parking spaces shall not be less than eight feet in width and 16 feet in length;
(2) Sixty-degree angle parking: each parking space shall be not less than nine feet wide perpendicular to the parking angle nor less than 20 feet in length when measured at right angles to the building or parking line. Maneuvering space shall be not less than 16 feet perpendicular to the building or parking line. Designated small car parking spaces shall not be less than eight feet in width and 18 feet in length;
(3) Forty-five-degree angle parking: each parking space shall be not less than nine feet wide perpendicular to the parking angle nor less than 18-1/2 feet in length when measured at right angles to the building or parking line. Maneuvering space shall be not less than 12 feet perpendicular to the building or parking line. Designed small car parking spaces shall not be less than eight feet in width and ten feet in length;
(4) When off-street parking facilities are located adjacent to a public alley, the width of the alley may be utilized as a portion of the maneuvering space requirement, provided the alley is paved. Twenty percent of the total parking requirements may be used as small car parking with 80% of that total being grouped and designed for that use; and
(5) When off-street parking facilities are provided in excess of minimum amounts herein specified, or when off-street parking facilities are provided, but not required by this chapter, the off-street parking facilities shall comply with the minimum requirements for parking and maneuvering space herein specified.
(D) Pavement standards: unless otherwise approved by the City Council, all parking lots shall be paved according to city standards and specifications. The parking lanes must be clearly marked by approved paint, buttons or other material. All driveway approaches shall be constructed of concrete and shall be curbed to city standards.
(E) No parking area shall be designed or constructed which ends in a dead end, unless adequate turnaround space is provided.
(F) All entrances or exits in a parking lot shall be a minimum of 30 feet from the beginning point of any corner radius.
(G) All entrances or exits in a parking lot shall be a minimum of 24 feet and a maximum of 45 feet in width, unless one-way, in which case they shall both be a minimum of 12 feet.
(H) The driveway approach angle to any parking area shall be a maximum of 16 degrees, the departure angle a maximum of ten degrees, the ramp angle a maximum of 11 degrees, or otherwise shall be approved by the City Engineer.
(I) No parking areas or parking spaces shall be allowed to pave over or utilize public right-of-way, with the exception of approved entrances and exits, unless an exception is granted by the Planning and Zoning Commission.
(J) Any lighting used to illuminate any off-street parking area shall be so designed and constructed as to direct the light to the property and away from any adjoining property or street.
(K) All multi-family and commercial parking areas and parking spaces shall be designed and constructed to protect adjacent residences from the direct glare of headlights of vehicles using the parking area. In accordance, all off-street parking areas shall be effectively screened on each side by a buffer as herein defined, from any adjoining property zoned single-family, townhouse or duplex.
(L) No occupancy permit shall be issued by the Building Inspector of the city until the terms and conditions of this subchapter have been met.
(2005 Code, § 12-5-9)