Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) As used in this section:
(1) "Chauffeured limousine" means a vehicle registered under Ohio R.C. 4503.24.
(2) "Street," "highway," and "motor vehicle" have the same meanings as in Ohio R.C. 4511.01.
(b) No person shall have in his or her possession an opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor in any of the following circumstances:
(1) In a liquor store;
(2) Except as provided in division (c) of this section, on the premises of the holder of any permit issued by the Division of Liquor Control;
(3) In any other public place;
(4) Except as provided in division (d) of this section while operating or being a passenger in or on a motor vehicle on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking;
(5) Except as provided in division (d) of this section while being in or on a stationary motor vehicle on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking.
(c) (1) A person may have in the person’s possession an opened container of any of the following:
A. Beer or intoxicating liquor that has been lawfully purchased for consumption on the premises where bought from the holder of an A-1-A, A-2, D-1, D-2, D-3, D-3a, D-4, D-4a, D-5, D-5a, D-5b, D-5c, D-5d, D-5e, D-5f, D-5g, D-5h, D-5i, D-5j, D-5k, D-7, D-8, E, F, F-2, or F-5 permit;
B. Beer, wine, or mixed beverages served for consumption on the premises by the holder of an F-3 permit or wine served for consumption on the premises by the holder of an F-4 permit;
C. Beer or intoxicating liquor consumed on the premises of a convention facility as provided in Ohio R.C. 4303.201;
D. Beer or intoxicating liquor to be consumed during tastings and samplings approved by rule of the Liquor Control Commission.
(2) A person may have in the person’s possession on an F liquor permit premises an opened container of beer or intoxicating liquor that was not purchased from the holder of the F permit if the premises for which the F permit is issued is a music festival and the holder of the F permit grants permission for that possession on the premises during the period for which the F permit is issued. As used in this division (c)(2), "music festival" means a series of outdoor live musical performances extending for a period of at least three consecutive days and located on an area of land of at least 40 acres.
(d) This section does not apply to a person who pays all or a portion of the fee imposed for use of a chauffeured limousine pursuant to a prearranged contract or the guest of the person, when all of the following apply:
(1) The person or guest is a passenger in the limousine.
(2) The person or guest is located in the limousine, but is not occupying a seat in the front compartment of the limousine where the operator of the limousine is located.
(3) The limousine is located on any street, highway, or other public or private property open to the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking.
(e) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.