Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Keeping Horses, Cattle, Livestock: It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, or cause to be kept any horses, cattle, mules, donkeys, sheep, goats or other animals of like nature within the city of Eloy except in compliance with this code including, but not limited to, the Eloy zoning ordinance. All such animals will be maintained a minimum of thirty five feet (35') from any residence.
B. Swine: It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or to cause or permit to be kept, any swine upon any premises in the city of Eloy, except in compliance with this code including, but not limited to, the Eloy zoning ordinance.
C. Ferrets: All ferrets are required to have a current rabies vaccination, and shall be confined to the owner's property unless they are restrained by a leash not more than six feet (6') in length.
1. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any chickens, ducks, pigeons, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl, exotic birds for breeding or other domestic fowl in the city limits; excepting, in the following zoning districts: R1-43 (estate density residential), RR-5 (5 acre minimum lot size) and RR-20 (20 acre minimum lot size).
2. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any chickens, ducks, pigeons, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl, or other domestic fowl within three hundred feet (300') of any school, church, public building, or hospital.
3. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep any chickens, ducks, pigeons, geese, turkeys, guinea fowl or other domestic fowl within thirty five feet (35') of any door, window or other opening in any dwelling or residence of any person other than the owner of the poultry.
4. No more than one rooster or a total of ten (10) head of poultry shall be kept upon the first one acre or less. It shall be unlawful to keep poultry in any manner that constitutes a nuisance.
E. Keeping Of Bees:
1. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or farm bees on any lot or parcel of land consisting of less than eight thousand (8,000) square feet in area without first having obtained written permission consenting to the keeping of bees from all lawful occupants and lawful owners of any adjoining lot or parcel of land, which are located in the immediate vicinity of the property whereon the bees are kept. Written permission signed by the occupant or owner so consenting is effective when it is filed with the community development director or the director's designee, and is revoked when a lawful occupant of the property gives up legal possession of the residence, or a lawful owner of the property who has given written permission is divested of all interest in the property.
2. It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain more than one hive or colony of bees for each two thousand (2,000) square feet of area within any lot or parcel of land upon which bees are kept or maintained.
3. No hive or colony of bees shall be kept or maintained within five feet (5') of any boundary line of any lot or parcel upon which the bees are kept.
4. If the keeping of bees becomes a danger or nuisance to the occupants of any adjoining lot or parcel of land upon which the bees are kept or maintained, then the cultivation of bees shall cease immediately.
F. Running At Large Prohibited: The owner, or other person acting for the owner of an animal under this section, shall at all times keep such animal from being or running at large in the city of Eloy. (Ord. 05-590, 5-23-2005; Ord. 07-675 § 1, 2-12-2007; Ord. 13-817, 8-12-2013)