Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1301.08 PERMITS REQUIRED.
(a) The following building permits are required:
(1) New construction of all types.
(2) Additions and alterations to existing structures.
(3) Installation of roofing materials where existing roofing is removed (tear- offs).
(4) Installation of siding where existing siding is removed.
(5) Installation of furnaces and/or ductwork.
(6) Installation of air conditioning units and/or ductwork.
(7) Installation of water heater units.
(8) Storage sheds greater than 200 square feet in area.
(10) Decks exceeding 200 square feet.
(11) All electrical work/replacement of service panels.
(12) All plumbing work (minor work as determined by the Building Official is exempt).
(13) Demolition of structures greater than 200 square feet.
(14) Installation or construction of heating stoves, fireplaces and chimneys.
(16) Sewer taps (sanitary and storm).
(17) Sanitary sewer or storm drain replacement or repair.
(18) Fire suppression, sprinkler systems and fire alarm systems.
(19) Installation of commercial kitchen equipment.
(20) Installation of new windows and doors or replacement of existing windows and doors of a different size.
(21) Ingress and/or egress stairs for any structure.
(22) Any structural repairs, building or remodeling projects made necessary due to concern for the health, safety and welfare of the inhabitants or the public.
(b) The following zoning permits are required:
(2) Replacement of sidewalks within public rights of way and driveway approaches (refer to Section 903.07 of the Street and Public Services Code).
(3) Construction of new driveways and parking lots or resurfacing or capping of existing driveways and parking lots.
(4) Storage sheds 200 square feet or less in area.
(5) Swimming pools intended for swimming or recreational bathing that do not exceed twenty four (24) inches deep.
(6) All patios, decks not exceeding two hundred (200) square feet in area.
(c) No person, firm or corporation shall commence construction, alteration or repair or proceed with any operation included under or regulated by the provisions of this code without first obtaining a permit for each separate operation from the Chief Building Official and paying the fee prescribed for the operation. Should work commence without obtaining the permit required by any section of this code, the permit fee will be doubled or charged the amount governed by that section of code.
(d) Except as provided below, a homeowner who occupies a single family dwelling as that term is defined in Section 1125.05 (18) of the Whitehall Planning and Zoning Code, may obtain a permit to do any work on the home or premises. The homeowner who obtains a permit must do the work with his or her own hands. If the homeowner uses anyone else to assist in the work, no one assisting the owner may receive any compensation for this work. A homeowner's statement shall be completed and signed by the homeowner verifying this information in the form of an affidavit approved by the Chief Building Official.
A homeowner of a one, two or three family dwelling who is not the occupant may apply for permits to perform work on such dwelling(s). Upon issuance of a permit the homeowner must do the work with his or her own hands. No one assisting the homeowner may receive any compensation for this work. A homeowner's statement shall be completed and signed by the homeowner verifying this information in the form of an affidavit approved by the Chief Building Official. Except for a homeowner who occupies a single family dwelling, mechanical, electrical and plumbing permits must be obtained only by licensed persons, registered with the City of Whitehall in those trades. Each and every permit issued by the Chief Building Official shall be subject to revocation whenever it appears in the judgment of the Chief Building Official that such work is being done so as to violate any terms and/or conditions of applicable codes of the City of Whitehall or statutes of the State of Ohio.
(e) After a permit is issued, the permit or a copy thereof shall be posted at all times during the course of such work. The fee to reinstate any permit revoked due to a violation of any provision of this Code shall equal one-half the permit fee.
(Ord. 011-2014. Passed 4-1-14.)