(a)   Permit Required. No person shall make or change any installation which may affect the City water or sewer facilities, or tap into or use any such facilities, without first obtaining a permit therefor from the Department of Water and Sewers. 
(Ord. 5.  Passed 6-17-52.)
   (b)   Permit Application; Fee. Permits may be obtained by making written application therefor to the Department on forms provided by the City, upon payment of fees and charges as set forth in Chapter 210 of the Administration Code and upon approval of the Department.
(Ord. 1990-01.  Passed 1-2-90.)
   (c)   Form Approval. The form of application for the permit and the form for the permit shall be submitted to the Manager for approval before being put into use and shall not be varied or changed thereafter without the Manager's approval.
   (d)   Water Taps.  Maintenance and/or repair of a private water service line from the building to the water shutoff (curb box) which shall be located near the property or easement line shall be the responsibility of the property owner.  The City shall not be responsible for the maintenance or repair of any private water service.  The City shall be responsible for the water shutoff (curb box) and the service line between water shutoff and the main.
(Ord. 5.  Passed 6-17-52; Ord. 2009-13.  Passed 7-21-09; Ord. 2009-14.  Passed 9-15-09.)
   (e)   Sewer Taps.
      (1)   Maintenance repair and/or cleaning of a private sewer service line from the building to the City main, including the service line connection at the City main shall be the sole responsibility of the property owner.  The City shall not be responsible for the maintenance repair and/or cleaning of any private sewer service line regardless of front or rear yard location.
      (2)   In the event the City is required to repair or maintain a City main in the public easement, and the above-ground right-of-way is obstructed, the obstruction(s) shall be removed by the property owner with all cost being borne by the property owner.  Failure to pay the costs shall result in said costs being collected by special assessment.
(Ord. 1993-09.  Passed 4-20-93; Ord. 2009-13.  Passed 7-21-09.)
   (f)   Prohibited Taps. The use of any water or sewer connection is hereby limited to the property for which a permit has been issued and the connection thereto by any other property owner, or his or her tenant, shall constitute a violation of this chapter by both the person having the connection directly to the City water and/or sewer lines and the person who makes and/or uses the extended connection.
(Ord. 5.  Passed 6-17-52.)
   (g)   Standards. No permit for a tap, change, installation or connection to the sewer facilities shall be issued, unless and until there is a showing made to the Department that such tap, change, installation or connection does not introduce new inflow sources to the separate sanitary system, and does not result in the construction of new combined sewers, except for replacement of existing combined sewers where no prudent feasible alternative exists. Further, any new construction tributary to the combined sewer system shall be designed to minimize inflow contribution to the combined sewer system, and shall provide that any new sanitary waste water connection to a separate sanitary sewer shall not contain footing drain and/or roof drain connections. Such changes, installations or connections shall, in all other respects, conform to the requirements of the City sanitary sewer system operation and maintenance program heretofore or hereafter adopted pursuant to a Final Order of Abatement issued by the State Department of Natural Resources, Water Resources Commission, which document is available for public perusal and on file at the office of the City Clerk. 
(Ord. 1989-05.  Passed 5-2-89.)
   (h)   Minimum Size of Service.  The minimum size of any tap into a water line hereafter made shall be three-quarters of an inch for single-family residences, and one inch for all others.
   (i)   Larger Connections;  Inspection Fee.  Connections to the sewer or water systems which are larger than two inches shall be made by the customer pursuant to standards and specifications promulgated by the Superintendent.  In such cases an inspection fee shall be charged as set forth in Chapter 210 of the Administration Code.
(Ord. 1990-01.  Passed 1-2-90.)