Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 20-209. Special Police. 9
(1) The Police Commissioner may establish an auxiliary police force which may be called to active duty by the Mayor or an officer designated by him during any period of distress, disaster or emergency.
(2) When called to active duty and until relieved from such duty by proper authority, auxiliary policemen shall have the same powers as regular policemen.
(3) Auxiliary policemen shall perform such duties as the Police Commissioner may assign them as members of a special force or as integrated members of the regular force; but they shall not be used in connection with labor disputes.
(4) The Police Commissioner shall prescribe the qualifications for appointment to the auxiliary police force, and may establish recruitment and training programs for auxiliary policemen.
(5) The Police Commissioner shall issue rules governing the acquiring and wearing of uniforms and insignia by the auxiliary police.
(6) Auxiliary policemen shall serve, without compensation, at the pleasure of the Police Commissioner.
Source: 1952 Ordinances, p. 383.