Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 13-306. Water Pipe Laid by Property Owners. 26
(1) The Water Department may grant permission to an owner of property to lay water pipe in any street upon which his property abuts, under the supervision and direction of the Department and in accordance with its regulations and specifications.
(2) The property owner shall enter into an agreement with the City, in form satisfactory to the Law Department, to comply with these requirements and to lay the pipe without expense to the City.
(3) The contractor selected by the property owner shall file a bond with the City, in the amount fixed by the Law Department, conditioned upon compliance with the Water Department's regulations and specifications.
(4) Upon completion of the laying of such pipe the Water Department shall provide for the preparation of a plan thereof which shall be kept on file with the Water Department and the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
(5) For 2 years after completion, no permit shall be granted for a connection to the pipe to anyone other than the person who paid for laying the pipe or his successor in title unless the applicant produces a release or receipt from him evidencing that the applicant or his predecessor in title paid his proportionate share of the cost of laying the pipe. 27
(6) After the expiration of 2 years from its completion, no permit shall be granted for a connection to the pipe for a person other than the person who paid for laying the pipe or his successor in title unless the applicant has paid to the City frontage charges in effect at the time the connection is made. 28
(7) The title to water pipe laid as provided in subsection 13-306(1) shall vest immediately in the City, but the owner or his successors in title to property fronting thereon shall be relieved from assessment charges for the future laying of pipe in that street.
(8) If a water pipe built without cost to the City is located on private property, it shall be the obligation of the owner to maintain it without expense or other liability to the City, except that when in the judgment of the Water Department it is in the best interest of the City the Department may assume the obligation, provided the owner of the property executes and records an agreement, satisfactory to the Law Department, whereby an easement or right- of-way of sufficient width to protect and maintain the water pipe is granted and the Water Department is given the right of entry for inspection, repair and reconstruction.
(9) In accordance with the Philadelphia Plumbing Code, private water pipe and water service infrastructure connecting to City water pipe shall be permitted to be constructed on private property without cost to the City to serve some or all units within a Condominium or Planned Community where the private infrastructure is to be owned and maintained by a Unit Owner's Association formed pursuant to PA Title 68 Chapter 33 or Chapter 53. 29
(a) If the parcel is subdivided subsequent to initial plan approval by the Water Department, the Department may require the subdivided unit to make an individual connection to a public water main, at no cost to the City.
(10) The penalty for laying water pipe in any street of the City without authority from the Water Department is a fine not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100), together with imprisonment not exceeding 30 days if the fine and costs are not paid within 10 days. 30
Source: 1909 Ordinances, p. 114; 1928 Ordinances, p. 418; 1947 Ordinances, p. 114; revised to allow the Water Department to grant permission in situations other than the City's inability to lay the pipe.
Time reduced from 10 years to 2 years, to conform to similar provision concerning sewers.
Amended, 1975 Ordinances, p. 1434.
Added, Bill No. 180554 (approved October 17, 2018).
Renumbered, Bill No. 180554 (approved October 17, 2018).