Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) An owner to whom a notice of violation has been issued may, within 30 days of the mailing of the notice, request a hearing to contest the liability alleged in the notice. A hearing request must be made by appearing before the Parking Authority during regular office hours either personally or by an authorized agent or by mailing a request in writing.
(2) Upon receipt of a hearing request, the matter shall be scheduled before a hearing officer appointed by the Director of Finance. Written notice of the date, time and place of hearing must be sent by first-class mail to the owner.
(3) Hearings pursuant to this Chapter shall be conducted pursuant to 2 Pa. C.S. Ch. 5 (relating to practice and procedure) and will be subject to appeal pursuant to 2 Pa. C.S. Ch. 7 (relating to judicial review).
(4) At a hearing pursuant to this Chapter, no evidence of violation need be submitted other than the following, which shall be admissible in such hearing:
(a) the notice of violation, including the recorded image evidencing the violation, which shall be prima facie evidence of the facts contained in it, provided that: (i) it contains the required authentication of the City police officer; and that (ii) written documentation is provided that the automated speed enforcement system was operating correctly at the time of the alleged violation and has been tested for accuracy at regular intervals as designated by the Department of Transportation; and
(b) information from a state department of transportation or motor vehicles identifying the owner of the vehicle.
(5) The police officer who signed the authentication shall not be required to appear at the hearing unless the hearing officer determines that the officer's presence is required. The hearing officer may grant a reasonable continuance if the officer is not available at the time of hearing.
(6) The Parking Authority shall provide the owner with notice of the decision of the hearing officer, together with any reasons provided by the hearing officer, and advise the owner of his or her right to appeal the decision of the hearing officer in court.
(7) The Director of Finance has the authority to provide by regulation for additional rules for the hearing and determination of cases involving violations under this Chapter.