Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) Chestnut Street Transitway. The Chestnut Street Transitway shall constitute that part of Chestnut street from Eighth to Eighteenth streets and the eastbound lane between Sixth and Eighth streets.
(2) Emergency. The term emergency as used in subsection 12-2605(3) is limited to public utility vehicles responding to sudden disruptions in utility service of a major proportion and private maintenance and construction vehicles when repairs are immediately necessary in order to protect the public health, safety and welfare of the public.
(3) Permitted Public Carriers. Regularly scheduled route buses operated by the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority and approved by the Managing Director of the City of Philadelphia for operation on the Transitway.
(4) Tow Squad Vehicles. Vehicles owned or operated by or for the City of Philadelphia and designed for towing other vehicles.
(5) Weekend. Weekend shall mean Saturdays and Sundays.
(6) Vehicle. Any device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn. The term vehicle shall not include any bicycle walked on the sidewalk by its operator, any wheelchair or similar device used on the sidewalk by a disabled person, or any cart or similar device, moved by human power, used to make deliveries or to carry equipment to or from buildings located on the Transitway.
(7) Department. Department shall mean the Department of Streets of the City of Philadelphia.
(8) Commissioner. Commissioner shall mean the Street Commissioner of the Department of Streets of the City of Philadelphia.