Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 12-1120. Abandoned Vehicles. 143
(1) Definitions. In this Section, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) Abandoned Vehicle. As defined in Section 102 of the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa. C.S. § 102; including, but not limited to, any vehicle not capable of being moved under its own power, or with deflated tire or tires, or without tire or tires, or without current license tags, which remains parked upon such street or highway for a period of more than forty-eight (48) hours.
(b) Salvor. Any person who maintains an established place of business and is engaged in the business of buying, selling or exchanging abandoned vehicles and junkers for the purpose of remodeling, taking apart, or rebuilding the same, or buying or selling of parts, as defined in Sections 1337(c)(2) and 7301(a) of the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa. C.S. §§ 1337(c)(2) and 7301(a); and regulations thereunder, 67 Pa. Code § 253.2.
(c) Authorized Salvor. Any salvor complying with the requirements of Chapter 73 of the Vehicle Code, as defined in Section 7301(a) thereof, 75 Pa. C.S. § 7301(a).
(2) No person shall leave parked upon a street or highway any vehicle not capable of being moved under its own power; or with deflated tire or tires; or without current license tags.
(3) Such vehicle may be removed by the Police Department or by an authorized salvor pursuant to police direction as an abandoned vehicle if the vehicle is not moved after ten days' written notice for removal has been sent to the last registered owner thereof; except that if the vehicle constitutes a safety hazard, the Police Department may remove it immediately and within twelve (12) hours send a written notice to the last registered owner, stating cause of removal, the location of vehicle and the procedure to follow in reclaiming the vehicle.
(a) When a vehicle is towed by the Police Department as an abandoned vehicle, the provisions of Chapter 12-2400, Towing and Immobilizing of Parked or Abandoned Vehicles, shall apply.
(4) If such vehicle is not removed by the Police Department within sixty (60) days after written notice for removal has been sent to the last registered owner the Police Department shall request in writing that an authorized salvor take possession of and remove such abandoned vehicle. The Police Department may request in writing an authorized salvor to take possession of and remove such vehicle prior to the expiration of the sixty (60) days' notice when in the Departments' judgement they will not be able to remove the abandoned vehicle within sixty (60) days.
(5) Upon written request of the Police Department as per 67 Pa. Code § 253.5(b), an authorized salvor shall take possession of and remove to the storage facility of the salvor any abandoned vehicle located within thirty (30) miles of the place of business of the salvor. When a vehicle is towed by an authorized salvor as an abandoned vehicle, the provisions of Chapter 73 of the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa. C.S. §§ 7301 - 7312, and of Chapter 253 of the Pennsylvania Code, 67 Pa. Code §§ 253.1 - 253.6 shall apply.
Amended and subsections added, 1984 Ordinances, p. 21.