Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 12-917. Valet Parking Zones. 86
(1) The Authority may designate a curb valet parking zone for specified days and hours upon the request of any business or businesses if the Authority determines, based on an engineering study, that such valet parking zone is necessary and justified by traffic conditions. In making that determination, the Authority shall consider the existing parking regulations and controls at the proposed location, the existing property uses at the location, the presence of other valet parking zones in the area, and such other factors as the Authority determines are relevant to the necessity and justification for the valet parking zone.
(2) An application for a valet parking zone shall be made on a form provided by the Authority. If the Authority approves the application, then the Authority shall issue a permit for the valet parking zone upon payment of the fee set forth in subsection (3). The permit shall specify the length and location of the zone, the days and hours permitted for operation, and such other conditions as the Authority may reasonably prescribe and shall be valid for one year. Permits shall not be transferable, but may be renewed annually upon payment of an annual renewal fee in the amount set forth in subsection (3). A business which operates for only a portion of the year may be issued a valet parking zone permit for a term of six months, and the annual renewal fee for such permit shall be half the amount set forth in subsection (3).
(3) Permit Fees; Renewal Fees.
(a) In the following areas, the annual permit fee shall be two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) for each twenty feet of curb space used for the valet parking zone, provided that if the period of use authorized by the permit is for less than four days a week, the annual permit fee shall be one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500); and provided, further, that if the period of use authorized by the permit does not exceed six consecutive months in a calendar year, then the fee shall be equal to fifty percent (50%) of the amount that would otherwise be due: 87
(.1) Center City, bounded by Spring Garden street, Bainbridge street, the Schuylkill River and Christopher Columbus Boulevard, excluding both sides of Christopher Columbus Boulevard; 88
(.2) University City, bounded by the Schuylkill River on the east; University/Woodland avenue on the south; Fortieth street on the west; and by a line along Filbert street, between Fortieth street and Thirty-fourth street, along Thirty-fourth street to Arch street, and along Arch street, between Thirty-fourth street and the Schuylkill River, on the north; and
(.3) Delaware Avenue Entertainment District, bounded by the Delaware River, Spring Garden street, Second street and Girard avenue.
(b) In all other areas of the City, the annual permit fee shall be six hundred twenty-five dollars ($625) for each twenty feet of curb space used for the valet parking zone, provided that if the period of use authorized by the permit is for less than four days a week, the annual permit fee shall be three hundred seventy-five dollars ($375); and provided, further, that if the period of use authorized by the permit does not exceed six consecutive months in a calendar year, then the fee shall be equal to fifty percent (50%) of the amount that would otherwise be due. 89
(4) The Department shall post signs indicating the location and hours of operation of each valet parking zone for which a permit has been granted. The fee for installing such signs shall be two hundred fifty dollars ($250), provided that, with respect to a permit that limits the period of authorized use to six consecutive months or less in a calendar year, if the Department elects to remove the valet parking zone sign to which such permit relates at the end of the authorized period and to re-install the sign at the beginning of the next authorized period, then the Department shall impose an additional annual fee of two hundred fifty dollars ($250) for each year in which the Department both re-installs and removes such sign. 90
(5) No person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle in a valet parking zone during its posted hours of operation for any purpose other than the expeditious loading or unloading of passengers and to turn control of the vehicle over to valet parking.
(6) Valet parking operators must remove vehicles from the valet parking zone within twenty minutes and must park all vehicles in a licensed off-street parking facility. 91
Added, Bill No. 970403 (approved May 19, 1998).
Amended, Bill No. 100610 (approved April 13, 2011); amended, Bill No. 110827 (approved December 21, 2011). Section 2 of Bill No. 110827 provides: "Effective Date. The amendments to Code Section 12-917(3) contained in this Ordinance shall be effective retroactive to April 13, 2011. Any permit fees paid after that date that are in excess of the fees specified in the amendments to Code Section 12-917(3) contained in this Ordinance shall be refunded. All other provisions of this Ordinance shall take effect immediately."
Amended, Bill No. 150172 (approved April 28, 2015).