Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(1) In order to assist the college or university in its efforts to: contact students in order to notify them of matters involving danger or threats to health, safety or the general welfare; respond to local or national emergencies; or respond to any lawful government inquiry, each college or university that has a substantial portion of its facilities located in whole or in part in an Educational Housing District shall require that its students either provide the college or university with the model, make, and license number of any vehicles owned, operated or controlled by such student, and a copy of a current registration and valid insurance certificate for each such vehicle, or certify in writing that the student does not own, operate or control a vehicle. The college or university shall certify in writing to the Police Department by October 1 of each year that the college or university has obtained either the required information or the written certification from at least ninety-five percent (95%) of all of its students and shall maintain the privacy and security of all such information in accordance with the general policies, procedures and operations of the college or university regarding student data and information.
(2) The college or university shall issue to each student who provides information regarding vehicle ownership, operation or control a sticker as evidence that such information has been provided to the university. Such sticker shall identify the issuing college or university.
(3) Any student issued such sticker shall affix it to his or her college or university issued identification card.
(4) The penalty for a college or university's failure to comply with the provisions of this Section, or for a student's failure to provide accurate information or certification to his or her college or university, or a student's failure to affix such sticker once issued shall be a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50) nor more than one hundred fifty dollars ($150). A college or university may not be penalized for failing to issue a sticker to a student who does not provide the required information regarding any vehicle owned, operated or controlled by such student. Each day of non-compliance shall constitute a separate violation.
(5) Any person authorized to serve parking tickets pursuant to Chapter 12-2800 of this Code who serves a parking ticket in connection with a car located in an Educational Housing District that is identified as belonging to a student for any parking violation under Title 12, The Traffic Code, including but not limited to violations such as parking in or blocking a driveway, parking on the sidewalk or parking within fifteen feet of a fire hydrant, shall also serve a copy of the ticket to the college or university which has issued sticker reflecting that the car belongs to a student.
(6) The college or university served such copy of the parking ticket shall maintain a list of the number of such violations by student and owner and by vehicle. The college or university shall develop a policy, which shall be provided to the Police Department, regarding notification to the college or university student disciplinary body for violations of the provisions under Title 12, The Traffic Code. A college or university shall not disclose any information to any person regarding actions taken by or final decisions made by a college or university student disciplinary body except as provided by law. Within ten (10) days of receipt of a third notice of parking violation by a student, the college or university shall provide to the Police Department notice as to whether the college or university student disciplinary body has been notified of such third notice of parking violation. A college or university shall not disclose any information to any person regarding actions taken by or final decisions made by a college or university student disciplinary body except as provided by law.
(7) The university or college shall be notified of the towing of any car for which it has issued a sticker that is subject to towing pursuant to Section 12-2405.1 of the Code, provided, however, that any person who incurs a cost for the removal or towing of any vehicle, pursuant to this subsection, for which a college or university has issued a sticker shall recover such costs from the student or person who owns, operates or controls such vehicle and shall notify the college or university of such costs incurred related to the removal or towing of a vehicle for which the college or university issued a sticker.