Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 6-603. Permits and Notification. 102
In order to ensure that asbestos work is properly performed so as to protect occupants of buildings and private residences and the general public from exposure to asbestos, permits shall be required for all major asbestos projects and notification shall be required prior to the commencement of all minor asbestos projects.
(1) No contractor or other person shall commence a major asbestos project unless he/she has obtained a permit for that project from the Department of Licenses and Inspections.
(2) Reserved. 103
(3) Project permit fees shall be computed as follows, subject to a minimum fee of one hundred and fifty dollars ($150) – 104
(a) three and three quarters percent (3.75%) of the cost of the asbestos abatement contemplated under the permit, so long as said cost is less than or equal to fifty thousand dollars ($50,000); and
(b) an additional one and seven eighths percent (1.875%) for any portion of the cost of abatement cost over fifty thousand dollars ($50,000).
(4) The Board shall establish by regulation the requirements for obtaining a permit which shall include, but not be limited to:
(a) possession of a valid license or, if the applicant is not an asbestos contractor, certification by the Department of Licenses and Inspections;
(b) use of certified asbestos workers;
(c) use of appropriate equipment and materials.
(5) Permit applications shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following information:
(a) name and address of contractor or other person responsible for the asbestos project;
(b) name and address of independent certified asbestos project inspector;
(c) name and address of independent certified laboratory;
(d) name and address of asbestos waste transporter;
(e) name and address of asbestos waste disposal facility;
(f) name and address of building owner;
(g) location and function of building;
(h) description of asbestos project, including amount and location of asbestos materials;
(i) description of procedures and equipment that will be used to comply with the asbestos project standards established by this Chapter, including any alternative equivalent methods proposed for work area preparation;
(j) estimated total cost of the project;
(k) scheduled starting and completion dates.
(6) The Department of Licenses and Inspections shall not issue a permit unless and until the Department has certified, in writing, that the applicant has met the requirements established by the Board. In addition, the Department of Licenses and Inspections shall impose upon a permit such terms and conditions as the Department deems necessary to ensure compliance with the provisions of this Chapter or regulations promulgated thereunder.
(7) After a permit has been issued, by the next day the Department shall electronically send notice to the Philadelphia Fire Department Battalion Chief that has jurisdiction over the property of the issuance of an asbestos permit. The applicant shall notify the Department, in advance, of any changes in the asbestos project not accounted for in the permit application and submit an amended permit application before project completion. 105
(8) The Department of Licenses and Inspections, upon a finding by the Department that a person has failed to comply with the provisions of this Chapter or regulations promulgated thereunder shall deny, suspend, or revoke a permit in accordance with the recommendation of the Department.
(9) Any action taken by the Department of Licenses and Inspections pursuant to Section 6-603 may be appealed to the Board of License and Inspection Review in accordance with its procedures.
(10) Minor Asbestos Project Notification. 106
(a) No contractor or other person shall commence a minor asbestos project unless he/she has notified the Department in accordance with regulations established by the Board at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the commencement of the project. Such notification shall be accompanied by payment of a forty-five dollar ($45) notification fee.
Amended, 1988 Ordinances, p. 882.
Amended by deleting former provisions, Bill No. 970238 (approved June 25, 1997).
Amended, Bill No. 130685 (approved February 19, 2014).