Skip to code content (skip section selection)
SECTION 1705 REQUIRED SPECIAL INSPECTIONS AND TESTS 288
Add Sections B-1705.1.1.1 and B-1705.1.1.2 as follows:
B-1705.1.1.1.1 Underpinning. Underpinning of structures shall be subject to special inspections in accordance with the applicable provisions of Section 1705. In addition to the special inspection for structural stability, any new foundation elements installed as part of underpinning operations shall be subject to special inspection as a permanent installation in accordance with the applicable provisions of Chapter 17, including, but not limited to, special inspection for concrete, welding, and pile driving.
B-1705.1.1.1.1.1 Inspection program. Prior to commencement of work, the special inspector shall review the contractor's proposed sequence of operations and determine the areas of work that require design. Inspections of this work shall be continuous during the operations, and shall be conducted by a geotechnical, civil, or structural professional engineer licensed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
B-1705.1.1.1.2 Demolition. The following demolition operations shall be subject to special inspections in accordance with the applicable provisions of Chapter 17:
1. Complete demolition of a building in excess of three (3) stories or any structure in excess of 40 feet (12 192 mm) in height. These inspections shall be performed on a continuous basis until the structure is demolished to a height of 25 feet (7620 mm).
2. Where the use of mechanical demolition is recommended in writing by a licensed structural engineer, pursuant to Section B-3303.9. These inspections shall be performed on a continuous basis until the structure is demolished to a height of 15 feet (4572 mm).
3. Where mechanical demolition equipment, other than handheld devices, is to be used in the full or partial demolition of a building from within the building and with the mechanical equipment being supported by the building, or is to be used within the building to remove debris or move material. These inspections shall be performed on a continuous basis until the structure is demolished to a height of 15 feet (4572 mm).
Exception: Demolition performed under contract with the Department and in compliance with current Procurement Department Specifications.
B-1705.1.1.1.2.1 Inspection program. Prior to commencement of work, the special inspector shall review the permit documents, including the site safety demolition plan (also known as an engineering study), and become familiar with the reported demolition methods and details of any potential structural hazards to the project and adjoining properties.
1. Project identification, permit number and address.
2. Date and time of each inspection.
3. Names of personnel who performed each inspection.
4. Dates of off-site meetings, names of the participants and a summary of the conversations.
5. Any significant observations or instructions given related to any of the following:
(a) Deviations from the design documents;
(b) Anticipated field conditions;
(c) Proper execution of the work;
(d) Safe jobsite conditions; and
(e) Precautions taken to maintain safe conditions, if work is stopped for any reason.
Enrolled bill numbered this as B-1705; renumbered as 1705 by Code editor.