Skip to code content (skip section selection)
§ 1-112. Notices of Violation. 12
(1) For the purposes of enforcing any provision of the Code, or any regulation adopted under any provision of the Code, notices of violation may be issued by police officers or any other person authorized to enforce ordinances.
(2) Whenever a police officer or any other official authorized to enforce ordinances observes a violation of the Code, the officer shall hand to the violator or leave upon or affix to the premises where the violation occurred a printed notice of violation. Such notice shall bear the date, time and nature of the violation, when known, the identity of the violator, the address of the violator or the address where the violation occurred, the amount to be remitted in response to the notice of violation, and the penalty which can be imposed by the court for the violation; shall be signed by the person issuing the notice; and shall bear the police officer's badge number or other official identification number identifying the person issuing the notice.
(3) Any person who receives a notice of violation may, within ten (10) days, remit the required amount, admit the violation, and waive appearance before a Municipal Court Judge. The amount required to be remitted in response to a notice of violation is seventy-five dollars ($75), or the maximum amount of the fine for that violation, whichever is less. The notice of violation shall contain an appropriate statement for signature by the violator for the purpose of admitting the violation and waiving a hearing, and shall be returned by the violator with remittance of the required amount. 13
(4) If a person who receives a notice of violation fails to remit the required amount within ten (10) days of the issuance of the notice of violation, a code enforcement complaint shall be issued for such violation in such manner as provided by law. If the person named in the code enforcement complaint is found to have violated any provision of the Code or any regulation adopted under any provision of the Code, or fails to appear on the date set for hearing, the person shall be subject to the imposition of fines in the full amount set forth in the Code for such violation, plus court costs.
(5) If another provision of the Code or any regulation adopted under any provision of the Code contains specific provisions relating to notices of violation (including, but not limited to, provisions setting forth the amount required to be remitted in response to a notice of violation), those specific provisions shall control over the general provisions of this Section.
Added, Bill No. 980711 (approved June 25, 1999).
Amended, Bill No. 040091 (approved June 21, 2004).