Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person having the control and custody of, or being the parent or guardian of a minor under the age of 18 years shall permit such minor to be, nor shall such minor be outside the confines of his homesite and congregate, wander, loiter or play upon the streets and other public places of the City, unsupervised on unenclosed lands or places of amusement and entertainment, during the hours specified in division (e) of this section. This section shall not apply:
(1) When the minor is accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or other responsible person who is 18 years old or older and approved by the minor's parent or legal guardian;
(2) When the minor is legally employed and while going directly between his or her home and place of employment. This exception shall also apply if the minor is in a public place during curfew hours in the course of his or her employment;
(3) When the minor is on the sidewalk of the place where such minor resides, or on the sidewalk of either adjacent neighbor not communicating an objection to his or her presence; or
(4) When the minor is returning home by a direct route from a school, religious or voluntary association, activity place of public entertainment such as a movie, play, concert, amusement park or sporting event.
(b) No person operating or having charge of any public place shall knowingly permit or suffer the presence of a minor under the age of 18 years in such place during the hours specified in division (e) of this section, unless such minor is accompanied by his or her parent, guardian or custodian or some other adult who has been given responsibility for such minor's control and custody by the person legally responsible for the discipline of the minor.
(c) Any school, church, lodge or other organization sponsoring functions wherein minors in attendance will be out at a later hour than provided for in this section shall obtain the Mayor's approval to have the minors remain to the time when the entertainment will end. All minors attending such a function shall be required to be within the confines of their respective homesites one-half hour after such function is ended.
(d) As used in this section, “public place” means any street, alley, highway, sidewalk, park, playground or place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment or other lawful purpose. A public place shall include but not be limited to any store, shop, restaurant, tavern, bowling alley, café, theater, drug store, pool room, shopping center or other place devoted to amusement or entertainment of the general public. It shall also include the front or immediate area of the above.
(e) As used in this section, hours specified for different age groups shall be
(1) Through age 11: 8:00 p.m. E.S.T., 9:00 p.m. E.D.S.T. to 6:00 a.m.
(2) 12 through 14: 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
(3) 15 through 17: 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
(f) Whoever violates any of the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree. Minors violating any of the provisions of this section shall be dealt with in accordance with Juvenile Court law and procedure.
(Ord. 1980-24. Passed 6-9-80; Ord. 2001-27. Passed 9-10-01.)