(a) Council Authority. The Council may, by ordinance adopted in accordance with the provisions of this section, authorize the return to active duty of Retired Plan Members from any Tier.
(b) Limitations on Council Authority. The authority given to the Council herein is specifically limited as follows:
(1) A retiree's pension shall be terminated when he or she returns to active duty.
(2) The return to active duty provisions shall be substantially similar to those contained in Charter Section 1410 for Tier 2.
(3) The Retired Plan Member shall return to active duty as a member of the tier from which he or she retired.
(4) Members who participate in the Deferred Retirement Option Program (DROP) shall not be eligible to return to active duty.
(5) Rehired Members are ineligible to participate in DROP until three years following return to active duty.
(c) Mode of Adoption. Ordinances adopted pursuant to this section shall be adopted in the same manner as provided in Section 1618(b), but the City Council shall be advised in writing by an enrolled actuary as to the cost of the proposed change.
Added by Charter Amendment 2, approved March 8, 2005, effective April 6, 2005.
Amended by: Title and Section, Charter Amendment G § 3, approved March 8, 2011, Effective April 8, 2011.