Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A person may possess an exotic animal only if all the following are met:
(1) The person is the legal owner of the exotic animal and was in legal possession of the animal prior to the effective date of this chapter.
(2) The person applies for and is granted a personal possession permit from the Commissioner of Assessments and Licenses for each exotic animal in the person's possession within sixty (60) days of the effective date of this chapter.
(b) Any person who meets the requirements in division (a) of this section shall annually obtain a personal possession permit. The initial term of all Personal Possession Permits shall be for a duration of one (1) year, commencing on June 1 of each year. From and after the effective date of this chapter, no new exotic animals shall be brought into the City under the authority of a personal possession permit.
(c) An applicant must file an application with the Commissioner of Assessments and Licenses on forms provided by the Commissioner. The application must include the following:
(1) An annual permit fee of ten dollars ($10.00) per animal;
(2) A written statement which sets forth the following information:
A. The name, address, and telephone number of the applicant;
B. A description of the exotic animal, including the scientific name, name, sex, age, color, weight, and any distinguishing marks or coloration that would aid in the identification of the animal;
C. A photograph of the exotic animal;
D. The exact location where each animal is to be kept;
E. The names, addresses, and telephone number of the person from whom the applicant obtained the exotic animal, if known;
F. The living environment in which the exotic animal will spend its time. Specifically, the type and size of cage, the physical and psychological enrichment the animal will receive daily (if applicable), type of exercise the animal will receive (if applicable), diet, and veterinary care the exotic animal will receive;
G. The identification number of the exotic animal, excluding exotic animals excepted under division (c) of Section 603A.07;
H. The name, address, and phone number of the veterinarian who is expected to provide veterinary care to the exotic animal.
(d) A permit shall not be granted unless the Commissioner finds that all of the following apply:
(1) All of the requirements set forth in divisions (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this section are met;
(2) The applicant is eighteen (18) years of age or older;
(3) The applicant has not been convicted of violating a local or state law prohibiting cruelty, neglect, or mistreatment of an animal or has not within the past ten (10) years been convicted of or found responsible for possession, sale, or use of illegal narcotics;
(4) The facility and the conditions in which each exotic animal will be kept are in compliance with this chapter;
(5) The applicant has obtained the requisite insurance liability coverage or surety bond for each exotic animal under the applicant's control as set forth in Section 603A.09;
(6) The applicant has regularly provided veterinary care to the exotic animal(s) when needed and intends to provide such care in the future.
(e) The personal possession permit shall set forth all of the following information:
(1) The name, address, and phone number of the permit holder;
(2) The address if different than above, where the exotic animal or animals will be kept;
(3) The name, number, species, age of the exotic animal, and any distinguishing marks or coloration that would aid in the identification of the animal;
(4) The identification number of each exotic animal as required under Section 603A.07, if applicable;
(5) The name, address, and phone number of the veterinarian who is expected to provide veterinary care to the exotic animal named on the permit;
(6) Any other relevant information the city may deem necessary.
(f) The Commissioner of Assessments and Licenses shall keep records of who is carrying a valid permit, and provide a copy of the same to the Chief Animal Control Officer. The Chief Animal Control Officer shall, in turn, notify the appropriate personnel in the Division of Police, as determined by the Director of Public Safety.
(g) No person who holds a personal possession permit under this chapter shall fail to notify the Commissioner of Assessments and Licenses of any changes in the information stated on the permit, which must include the death of the exotic animal.
(Ord. No. 1572-14. Passed 12-8-14, eff. 12-10-14)