Skip to code content (skip section selection)
It is the purpose of this section to preserve of historic or architectural significance, but it is recognized that all areas of significance cannot be identified, analyzed, and designated at one time. However, it is important to protect properties with potentially qualifying from inappropriate demolitions until review and hearings can be completed for possible HPZ designation.
The following process is established for the review of proposed demolitions of that are located in areas of the where the Mayor and Council have initiated the process of HPZ formation and imposed interim standards:
1. These procedures apply to any or located within an area of an application for an HPZ between such time the Mayor and Council either initiate the establishment of an HPZ or enact an ordinance to apply these standards and the time action is taken on the application by the Mayor and Council, but for no more than one year.
2. The provisions of this section apply to all areas of the under application for HPZ designation on the effective date of this ordinance and to all areas of the for which applications for HPZ designation are initiated after the effective date of this ordinance.
3. An application for a demolition permit is exempt from these demolition review standards if the Official makes a written determination, and the PDSD concurs, that the currently is an imminent hazard to the public safety, is structurally unsound, and should be demolished.
C. Review and Decision
Procedures for review of, and decisions on, applications for demolition permits shall be the same as those outlined in Section 5.8.10.D, ; Nonhistoric.
D. Temporary Stay of Demolition
In the event a demolition application is denied, no permit for demolition shall be issued unless a subsequent demolition approval has been requested and granted or until adoption of HPZ zoning for the property.
1. If the HPZ has not been placed on the property at the time of expiration of the temporary restraint on demolition, the PDSD shall grant a demolition approval for the subject property.
2. At the time of HPZ adoption, the temporary restraint of demolition and any stays of demolition in effect shall expire. The PDSD ’s decision on demolition requests, at that time, is regulated by Section 5.8.10, Demolition Review Required. The demolition request shall be finalized in accordance with the procedures of that section.
(Am. Ord. 11150, 3/18/2014)