Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Erection; Maintenance. A building or zoning permit must be obtained from the Superintendent of Building and Zoning Inspection for the erection of any fence, wall or screen. The property owner shall be responsible for the continuing maintenance of any fence, wall or screen. If a fence, wall or screen is not maintained in a safe condition and in accordance with City regulations, the Superintendent of Building and Zoning Inspection shall issue notice to the owner, in accordance with this Zoning Code, to repair, replace or remove it.
(1) Placement, materials and height. Fences, walls, hedges or other planted screens may be erected in any yard, subject to the following height restrictions:
A. Located in a front yard in any "R" District: Five feet maximum height.
B. Located in a side yard or rear yard in any "R" District, from the front line of the principal structure to the rear lot line: Six feet maximum height.
C. Exception: In any "R" District, there shall be no maximum height applied to hedges or planted screens located along a rear lot line. Fences constructed on "R" District properties at or near a property line, which line abuts properties in districts other than "R" Districts may be constructed to the same height as a fence legally constructed on the abutting property at or near the property line.
D. Located in a front yard of any "B" Districts: Six feet maximum height.
E. Located in a side yard or rear yard of any "B" District: Eight feet maximum height.
F. Located in a front yard of any "I" District: Eight feet maximum height.
G. Located in a side or rear yard of any "I" District: Twelve feet maximum height.
(2) Public yards. Fences, screens or walls up to ten feet in height may be erected in any yard of a public school, public recreational facility or public building, provided that they are constructed of chain-link material and approved by the Superintendent of Building and Zoning Inspection.
(3) Setback from property lines. Fences located along a property line or right-of-way line shall be set back at least six inches from such line.
(b) General Requirements.
(1) Visibility at intersections. Authorized fences, walls and screens, whether publicly or privately owned, shall not obstruct the clear sight distances at street intersections.
(2) Barbed wire fences. Barbed wire fences shall not be erected, except where permitted by Section 660.12(b) of the General Offenses Code.
(3) Erection in public ways. A fence, wall or screen shall not be erected in a public or dedicated right-of-way.
(Ord. 88-1993. Passed 12-13-93.)