Skip to code content (skip section selection)
This chapter shall apply to all persons who transport or deliver one or more weapons into or within any location in the City of New York, except that it shall not apply to:
(a) the transitory shipment of weapons through New York City to a final destination outside of New York City. However, if the operator of the vehicle containing a transitory shipment of weapons experiences an unanticipated delay as that term is defined in 38 RCNY § 16-01, such operator shall immediately report to the nearest Police Department facility the following information:
(1) her/his current location;
(2) the location of the transporting vehicle;
(3) the cause of the unanticipated delay;
(4) the expected duration of the shipment's presence in the City; and
(5) how the shipment shall be secured during its stay in the City. In the case of such delay, the officer receiving such notice may direct the vehicle operator to take reasonably necessary measures to secure the weapons shipment, or the officer may seize and secure the weapons until such time that the shipper makes alternative arrangements which are acceptable to the officer.
(b) the shipment or delivery of five (5) or fewer weapons from one licensed weapons dealer located in New York City directly to another licensed weapons dealer located in New York City. However, the manner of storage of such weapons during their transportation shall be in compliance with 38 RCNY § 16-05.
(c) transport pursuant to 38 RCNY § 5-23(a)(3), (4), (5), or (6).*
(Amended City Record 6/21/2019, eff. 7/21/2019)
* Editor's note: See note to 38 RCNY § 5-23.