Skip to code content (skip section selection)
* Editor's note: Section 10 of the rule enacted on June 9, 2021, and effective on July 9, 2021, provides for implementation as follows:
The policies, procedures, criteria, programs, plans, reports, and forms required by this rule shall be developed, approved and implemented by the dates specified below. Unless otherwise stated, all time periods are computed from the effective date of these rules. Any provisions not specifically referenced below shall take effect as of the effective date of the rule.
§ 6-26: Transition
(b) (comprehensive transition plan)
Within 1 month of Effective Date
(c) (monthly public progress reports)
August 1, 2021
(a) The Department shall provide the Board with the architectural renderings for RMAS housing units prior to their submission to the New York State Commission of Correction (SCOC). The Department shall provide the Board with the architectural renderings for such units as approved by SCOC within two (2) business days of SCOC's approval.
(b) Within one (1) month of the Effective Date, the Department shall provide a comprehensive transition plan, in writing to the Board, which shall include the following documents and information concerning the elimination of punitive segregation and the implementation of RMAS:
(1) A list of written policies to implement RMAS;
(2) Specific plans related to implementation of RMAS for women in custody;
(3) Staffing plans for uniform and non-uniform staff who will work in RMAS;
(4) Training curricula for uniform and non-uniform staff who will work in RMAS;
(5) Programming to be provided to people housed in RMAS, and how, where, and by whom such programming will be afforded;
(6) Youth-specific staffing and programming plans for young adult RMAS units;
(7) Plans for conducting a process and outcome evaluation with proposed metrics to determine success of the RMAS model.
(c) Starting the first business day of August 2021 and of each month thereafter until RMAS implementation is complete, the Department shall submit to the Board, on a monthly basis and in writing, a public progress report for the previous month, which shall include the Department's progress toward achieving:
(1) Progress in reducing the PSEG population (i.e., PSEG I/Central Punitive Segregation Unit (CPSU), PSEG II, Restrictive Housing Unit (RHU));
(2) Progress in reducing the population housed in other restrictive housing units, including Enhanced Supervision Housing (ESH) and Secure;
(3) Construction, opening, and use of new RMAS housing units, including when plans are submitted to and approved by SCOC and explanations for unanticipated delays;
(4) Development of Department policies governing the operation of RMAS disaggregated by the stage of their development, as follows:
(i) Commenced drafting;
(ii) Signed by DOC and posted on DOC's public website;
(iii) Integrated into training of DOC staff.
(5) Implementation of training on RMAS, including:
(i) Status of curriculum development;
(ii) Number of staff scheduled to be trained disaggregated by uniform and non-uniform status;
(iii) Number of staff who have been trained, disaggregated by uniform and non-uniform status.
(6) Implementation of programming in RMAS.
(7) The provision of services such as recreation, visits, and privileges in the general population which exceed the requirements of the Minimum Standards outlined in 40 RCNY Chapter 1;
(8) Any deviations from the detailed timelines and benchmarks set forth in the plan required by 40 RCNY § 6-26(b);
(9) Any other information the Department or the Board deems relevant to understanding progress toward the elimination of punitive segregation and implementation of the RMAS model.
(Added City Record 6/9/2021, eff. 7/9/2021)