Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. As used in this chapter, the term "firearm" means any weapon that can discharge a projectile by way of an explosive charge.
1. Carry on or about their person an unconcealed firearm or air gun in a publicly owned and occupied building under the City of Helena's jurisdiction; or
2. Discharge any firearm, air gun, slingshot, bow, or crossbow within city limits.
C. The following people are exempt from every prohibition set forth in section 5-1-3(B):
1. A peace officer who is engaged in the discharge of the official duties of their employment;
2. A member of the United States Armed Forces who is engaged in the discharge of the official duties of their employment;
3. An armed carrier service employee, private security guard, government agent, government contractor, or government employee who is engaged in the discharge of their official work duties and is required to carry the weapon in question as a part of those duties; and
D. The following people are exempt from the prohibition set forth in section 5-1-3(B)(1):
1. Persons participating in hunter or gun safety classes sanctioned by the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks; and
2. Persons participating in or attending a legitimate display of unloaded firearms at shows or other public occasions put on by collectors or others. (amd. Ord. 3286, 1-11-2021)