Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Applications for Licenses. All applications for licenses under this chapter shall be in writing on a form approved by and filed with the Building Inspector. The application shall be signed by the owner or owners and shall contain information required by this section supplied in detail as to each such person, including general and limited partners of partnerships, shareholders of corporations and principals of any other type of business entity. In the event that no person owns twenty-five percent or more of the amusement device business, such application shall be signed by an authorized representative of the amusement device business. All applications shall contain a statement that the information contained therein is complete, accurate and truthful to the best knowledge of all applicants.
(b) Contents of Applications. The application shall specify whether it is for an accessory amusement area license (and accompanying amusement device licenses) or for an arcade amusement center license (and accompanying amusement device licenses) and shall contain the following information as to all owners:
(1) True name and all names used in the past five years;
(2) Date of birth;
(3) Permanent home address and all home addresses used in the past five years;
(4) Business and home telephone numbers;
(5) Employment history for the past five years;
(6) A statement as to whether or not the owner has been convicted of any crime other than traffic offenses and, if so, the date and place of conviction, the nature of the offense and the penalty imposed;
(7) A statement as to whether or not the owner has ever conducted an amusement device business and, if so, when, where and for how long;
(8) A description of the nature and operation of the main type of business activity to be conducted upon the premises;
(9) A description of the nature and operation of any business to be conducted in conjunction with the amusement device business, and the anticipated percentage of gross revenue to be derived from each respective business;
(10) The address and telephone number of the premises and of the business, if different from that of the premises;
(11) The name under which the business and premises will be operated;
(12) A statement as to whether or not the owner will directly operate the amusement device business, or whether or not an operator who is not an owner will operate it, and if the latter, the application shall contain information required by this section supplied in detail as to each such operator;
(13) A floor plan of the premises and the immediate vicinity drawn to scale, showing the square footage and placement of amusement devices, exits, windows, storage spaces, bicycle storage racks and off-street parking;
(14) A map showing all schools, playgrounds, parks or other arcade amusement centers within a radius of 1,000 feet of the premises and all churches within a radius of 500 feet of the premises;
(15) The name, address and telephone number of the agent of the business upon whom service of process can effectively and validly be made;
(16) The number, type, name, model and manufacturer's serial number of each amusement device requested to be licensed;
(17) The name and address of the owner, distributor and manufacturer of each amusement device requested to be licensed;
(18) Specification of terms of agreement governing the acquisition and installation of each amusement device requested to be licensed;
(19) A description as to the nature and type of property or services which will be sold or supplied upon the premises;
(20) A copy of the title or lease to the premises;
(21) A copy of the Articles of Incorporation, if the owner is a corporation;
(22) Specification of the days of the week and the hours of the day during which the licensed activity will be conducted; and
(23) Any other information which the Inspector may deem reasonably necessary for the full interest of the public in the application.
(c) Reports of City Officials. Upon receipt of an application for a license under this chapter, the Building Inspector shall determine whether all building and zoning laws have been satisfied and shall request the following reports, which shall be rendered to him within thirty days of the date of filing of the application:
(1) A written report from the Fire Chief as to whether the premises and amusement devices thereon will create a fire hazard; and
(2) A written report from the Police Chief specifying, with regard to all owners and operators, any convictions for any felony or for any misdemeanor involving the operation of an amusement device business or involving physical violence, gambling activity, controlled substances, alcoholic beverages, minors or any crime involving moral turpitude.
(d) Determination Process.
(1) Building Inspector. All applications for licenses under this chapter shall be considered by the Building Inspector, who shall, within ten days after receiving the written reports, either issue such licenses or deny issuance of such licenses.
(2) Appeal to Board. In the event of the denial of issuance of such a license, the applicant shall be notified of such denial and the specific reasons therefor in writing. Such notice shall be mailed or delivered to the applicant at the address specified in the application. The applicant shall have ten days after receipt of such notice within which to appeal such denial, by filing a written notice of appeal with the Mayor. Thereupon, the applicant shall have not less than ten days notice of the date and place of the hearing. The appeal shall be heard by the Board of Zoning Appeals, which Board shall have the power after such hearing to confirm the denial, order the license to be issued, or, at its discretion, to issue a conditional or probationary license. In rendering its decision, the Board may, for good cause shown, modify or waive any of the provisions of this chapter in the interest of justice.
(3) Appeal to court. The decision of the Board may, within thirty days thereof, be appealed to a court of competent jurisdiction under Ohio R.C. Chapter 2506.
(e) License Renewal. Each amusement device license and amusement device business license must be renewed annually. At the time of renewal, a statement shall be filed with the Building Inspector that the information listed on the original application for the license is still complete, accurate and truthful to the best knowledge of all applicants, or a statement shall be filed with the Building Inspector listing each and every item of information which has changed since the original application. Such statement shall be signed by the same persons who signed the original application. The Building Inspector may determine to accept such statement and issue the license requested, or he may determine to enforce the procedure required for an original license.
(Ord. 88-84. Passed 3-7-88.)