Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Intent of district. It is the intent of this section that the R-8 Zoning District be developed and reserved for one-family residential purposes. The regulations which apply within this district are designed to encourage the formation and continuance of a stable, healthy environment for one-family dwellings situated on lots of 8,000 square feet or more; and to discourage any encroachment by commercial, industrial or other use capable of adversely affecting the residential character of the district.
(B) Permitted uses. The following uses shall be permitted in any R-8 Zoning District:
(1) All uses permitted in a CP Conservation-Preservation District, as shown in § 151.050;
(2) One-family dwelling (other than a mobile home);
(3) Publicly owned building, facility or land;
(4) Unlighted, regulation-size or par three golf courses, including normal club house and pro shop activities, and other business activities associated with a country club;
(5) Non-commercial horticulture or agriculture, but not including the keeping of poultry or animals;
(6) Customary home occupation established under the provisions of § 151.129; and
(C) Conditional uses.
(1) The following uses shall be permitted in any R-8 Zoning District subject to conditions set forth herein below and in § 151.164:
(a) Church, synagogue, temple and other place of worship; provided that:
1. The use is housed in a permanent structure; and
2. No structure on the lot is closer than 25 feet to any abutting residential property line.
(b) Public and private school engaged in teaching general curriculum for educational advancement; provided, the structures are placed not less than 50 feet from any residential property line;
(c) Public utility substation or sub-installation including water towers; provided that:
1. The use is enclosed by a painted or chainlink fence or wall of at least six feet in height above finished grade;
2. There is neither office nor commercial operation nor storage of vehicles or equipment on the premises; and
3. A landscaped strip not less than five feet in width at inception of the use is planted and suitably maintained around the facility.
(d) Temporary use in compliance with the provisions of § 151.164; and
(e) Private kindergarten or pre-school nursery; provided that:
1. The use is located on a lot not less than one acre in area; and
2. No structure on the lot is closer than 50 feet to any abutting residential property line.
(2) If operated as part of a church, synagogue, temple or other place of worship, a private kindergarten or preschool nursery shall be considered an accessory use to the church, synagogue, temple or other place of worship. Otherwise, the use shall be considered a conditional use and shall be required to observe the requirements for private kindergartens and pre-school nurseries as set forth above.
(D) Prohibited uses. Mobile homes are expressly prohibited in any R-8 Zoning District. Mobile homes existing in the district upon enactment of this chapter are declared nonconforming uses and subject to provisions of § 151.127, except on Edgewood Circle when taking the first right off of Anderson onto Edgewood past Peach Orchard Road.
(E) Other requirements. Unless relief is granted elsewhere in this chapter, uses permitted in R-8 Zoning Districts shall be required to conform to the following standards:
(1) Minimum lot area: 8,000 square feet;
(2) Minimum area per dwelling unit: 8,000 square feet;
(3) Minimum lot width, measured at the building line: 50 feet;
(5) Minimum side yard: 15 feet. For rear yard requirements pertaining to double frontage lots, see § 151.124;
(6) Minimum rear yard: 15 feet. For rear yard requirements pertaining to double frontage lots, see § 151.124;
(7) Maximum building height: 35 feet. For exceptions to height regulations, see § 151.141;
(Ord. 97-04, passed 12-19-1996)