Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Nonconforming buildings or land uses are declared by this chapter to be incompatible with permitted uses in the districts involved. However to avoid undue hardship, the lawful use of any building or land uses at the time of the enactment of this chapter may be continued even though the use does not conform with the provisions of this chapter, except that the nonconforming building or land use or portions thereof, shall not be:
(1) Changed to another nonconforming use;
(2) Re-used or re-occupied after discontinuance of use or occupancy for a period of 30 days or more;
(3) Re-established, reoccupied or replaced with the same or similar building, or land use after physical removal or relocation from its specific site location at the time of passage of this chapter for a period of 30 days or more;
(4) Repaired, rebuilt or altered after damage exceeding 60% of its replacement cost at the time of destruction. Reconstruction or repair, when legal, must begin within six months after damage is incurred; and
(5) Enlarged or altered in a way which increases its nonconformity.
(B) Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prevent the strengthening or restoring to a safe condition of any building or part thereof declared to be unsafe by any official charged with protecting the public safety, upon order of the official.
(Ord. 97-04, passed 12-19-1996)