Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The use of City vehicles by City employees shall be regulated by the various departments as follows:
(a) Police Department.
(1) The operation and use of vehicles assigned to the Police Department shall be in accordance with the direction of the Chief of Police.
(2) The Chief may have the use of a City vehicle to and from work and may have such vehicle at his or her disposal during nonworking hours. Such vehicle shall only be used for official police business. The vehicle may be used by other police personnel at the discretion of the Chief.
(3) The officer having control of a police dog may have the specially adapted vehicle for the dog at his or her disposal during nonworking hours. Such vehicle shall only be used for official police business.
(4) The Municipal Dog Warden may have the specially adapted vehicle at his or her disposal during nonworking hours. Such vehicle shall only be used for the collection of animals.
(b) Fire Department.
(1) The operation and use of vehicles assigned to the Fire Department shall be in accordance with the direction of the Fire Chief.
(2) The Fire Chief may have a City vehicle at his or her disposal during nonworking hours so that he or she may respond to emergency calls and attend job-related evening meetings or seminars.
(3) A Fire Department vehicle may be available to the Department to be used for Department related business with the approval of the Chief, the Lieutenant or the officer on duty.
(4) Fire Department vehicles may leave the City limits for emergency responses and mutual aid calls.
Under nonemergency conditions, prior approval to leave the City limits must be obtained from the Fire Chief or the officer on duty.
(c) Public Works Department.
(1) The operation and use of vehicles assigned to the Public Works Department shall be in accordance with the direction of the Public Works Director.
(2) The Public Works Director may have a City vehicle at his or her disposal during nonworking hours.
The Public Works Director may attend job-related evening meetings with such vehicle.
The vehicle may be used to attend work sites early in the day or after normal working hours in the evening.
(3) A City vehicle available to the Public Works Departmentmay leave the City limits only after prior permission is obtained from the Public Works Director.
(4) Use of a Public Works Department vehicle by an individual not employed within the Department shall be approved by the Public Works Director.
(5) In an emergency, a vehicle may be used with the Public Works Director's approval, and if the Public Works Director is unavailable, then upon the approval of the Mayor.
(d) Finance Department and Council.
(1) The operation and use of vehicles assigned to the Finance Department and Council shall be in accordance with the direction of the Director of Finance and the City Council President.
(2) The vehicles must be used for City-related business.
(3) If the Director of Finance or the City Council President are not available, the Clerk of Council may grant permission for the use of such vehicles.
(4) Use of the vehicles outside the City limits must be logged.
(e) Department of Municipal Utilities.
(1) The operation and use of vehicles assigned to the Department of Municipal Utilities shall be in accordance with the direction of the Utilities Director.
(2) City vehicles shall be available to the Utilities Director, the Water and Sewer Plant Superintendents and the Superintendent of Distribution after working hours to respond to emergency calls.
(3) The Board of Municipal Utilities may approve additional use of City vehicles for this Department.
(1) The Mayor shall be furnished with a monthly car allowance effective June 1, 2007 and ending December 31, 2015. Such allowance shall be $675.00 per month until changed by Council.
(2) The Mayor shall name the City as an additional insured on any insurance policy for any car used in the scope and course of his or her employment with the City and for which he receives a car allowance.
(g) Recreation Department; Building Inspector.
(1) The operation and use of vehicles assigned to the Recreation Department and the Building Inspector shall be in accordance with the direction of the Mayor.
(2) The Recreation Director may have the use of a City vehicle for Department related business.
(3) The Building Inspectors may have the use of City vehicles for the conduct of building inspection duties.
(4) Vehicles may be used outside the City limits as the need arises only with the prior approval of the Mayor or his or her designee.
(h) Planner/Zoning Administrator.
(1) The Planner/Zoning Administrator may have the use of a City vehicle during normal working hours.
(2) The vehicle may also be used after normal working hours to attend job related evening meetings or seminars.
(i) Current Regulations. The Director of Finance shall notify the department heads of all current Federal and State regulations concerning the use of City vehicles.
(j) General Provisions.
(1) If recommended by an administrative head and approved by Council, an individual using his or her own personal vehicle for City business shall be compensated for mileage at the current rate as established by the Internal Revenue Service. Documentation for such use must be provided to the City.
(2) Only City vehicles may use the City gas pumps and maintenance, regardless of the use of personal vehicles as stated in paragraph (j)(1) hereof.
(3) No City official shall use a City vehicle for personal business.
(Ord. 135-91. Passed 10-14-91; 52-07. Passed 5-21-07; Ord. 43-2014. Passed 4-14-14; Ord. 8-2015. Passed 1-26-15.)