Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1. Number of Signs. One freestanding monument identification sign shall be permitted for each lot, or one sign for each 300 feet of street frontage, whichever is greater, subject to provisions hereinafter specifically set out. A minimum distance of 200 feet shall separate each permitted monument sign. Businesses that have frontage on more than one street will be permitted the use of a second sign. In no case shall more than two monument signs be permitted for each lot.
2. Setback Requirement. The minimum setback required for monument signs shall be 15 feet. All signs shall have a side setback not less than the height of the sign.
3. Sign Area. The total area of a sign shall be the actual square footage of one sign face. Double faced signs may be permitted with the maximum square footage permitted on each side. The maximum sign area of a monument sign shall not exceed 60 square feet. The copy area shall be limited to a single geometric shape unless it emulates the building form or feature.
4. Sign Size. The maximum height shall be 15 feet and the maximum width of the sign shall be 12 feet.
5. Sign Bases. All sign bases shall be designed and constructed of materials that are similar to those used on the principal building. Sign bases shall be dominated with materials of permanency and strength, such as brick, stone, block, or other masonry or concrete materials and shall be consistent with the materials used in the construction of the building. Metal skirting around a supporting pole shall not be considered an acceptable sign base material.
6. Monolithic or Columnar Line. Monument signs shall have a monolithic or columnar line that maintains essentially the same profile from grade to top. The width of the sign base shall be a minimum of 80 percent of the entire width of the sign.
7. Vertical Distance. The vertical distance between the sign face and the base shall not be greater than six inches.
8. Prohibited Signs. Signs that are composed of wood material or signs with metal as the primary material and any sign surface with letters painted upon a panel or wall area are prohibited.