Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms and words are defined.
1. “Abandoned sign” means any sign face remaining in place for a period of 30 days or more and which no longer advertises an activity, business, product, or service available on the premises on which the sign is located.
2. “Association identification (commercial or industrial development) sign” means a sign identifying the name of a commercial or industrial development included on a landscape feature, including planter beds, fountains, decorative walls or fences.
3. “Association identification (residential development) sign” means a sign identifying the name of a residential complex, or neighborhood development included on a landscape feature, including planter beds, fountains, decorative walls or fences.
4. “Bag sign” means a temporary cover made of a cloth or canvas material, used to alter the message of an obsolete sign until such time as it is replaced with a new sign.
5. “Banner sign” means a temporary sign composed of lightweight material, either enclosed in a rigid frame or not enclosed, secured or mounted to a structure or post on two or more edges.
6. “Billboard signs” means all structures, regardless of the materials used in the construction of the same, that are erected, maintained or used for public display of posters, painted signs, wall signs (whether the structure be placed on the wall or painted on the wall itself), and pictures or other pictorial reading matter which advertise a business or attraction which is not carried on or manufactured in or upon the premises upon which said signs or billboards are located.
7. “Building sign” means any sign attached to or erected against the wall or painted on the surface of the wall of a building, with the exposed face of the sign in a plane parallel with a plane of said wall. This definition includes fascia/wall signs.
8. “Directional sign” means a sign, other than a warning or regulatory sign, which is located on private property for the purposes of controlling all modes of traffic.
9. “Directory sign” means a sign containing the name of a building, complex, or center and two or more identification signs or panels of the same size, color and general design, limited to one identification sign per occupant.
10. “Electric changeable copy sign” means a sign that is characterized by changeable copy, letters, symbols or numerals to be modified from time to time by electronic or mechanical devices, which sign is integrated as a part of a permitted monument sign. Electric changeable copy signs may not be used to display commercial messages related to products or services that are not offered on the premises.
11. “Exterior sign” means a sign that directs attention to a business, profession, service, product or activity sold or offered upon the premises where such a sign is located. An exterior sign may be a sign attached flat against a building or structure, or projecting out from a building or structure.
12. “Fascia/wall sign” means a single-faced building or wall sign that is directly attached to and parallel to its supporting wall.
13. “Freestanding or post sign” means any sign erected or affixed in a rigid manner to one or more poles, posts or the ground, and which carries any advertisement strictly incidental and subordinate to a lawful use of the premises on which it is located, including signs, or sign devices indicating the business transacted, services rendered or goods sold or produced on the premises by an occupant thereof.
14. “Home occupation sign” means one unlighted sign not over two square feet in area attached flat against the dwelling and displaying only the occupant’s name and occupation, and which advertises the presence or conduct of the home occupation.
15. “Institutional bulletin board sign” means an on-premises sign containing a surface area upon which is displayed the name of a religious institution, school, library, public building, community center, or similar institution and the announcement of its services or activities.
16. “Interstate sign” means a sign on a property abutting an interstate right-of-way, which sign is oriented to the interstate.
17. “Marquee sign” means a sign attached to and contained within the perimeter of the face or valance of a marquee.
18. “Monument sign” means a ground sign that is mounted in or on a monument which does not have any exposed pole or pylon and which includes the name of the development, business or businesses located on the premises.
19. “Multiple tenant monument sign” means a sign intended to provide identification to a multiple tenant commercial development of more than 25,000 square feet of gross building area in which more than three tenants occupy individual space within the building and which is under single ownership, management, and control.
20. “Multiple tenant building, horizontal” means a single story building designed for the collocation of two or more tenants located side by side with each tenant separated by demising walls.
21. “Multiple tenant building, vertical” means a multiple story building designed for the collocation of two or more tenants located side by side and/or on separate floors of the building.
22. “Off-site sign” means any sign advertising any interest of any person or firm, products, accommodations, services, or activities not provided on the premises in which the sign is placed.
23. “Project identification sign” means a sign that refers to the construction, lease, hire, or sale of a building, premises, or subdivision lots.
24. “Projecting sign” means a double-faced building or wall sign projecting at right angles to its supporting wall.
25. “Roof sign” means a sign attached upon or above a roof or parapet of a building.
26. “Sign” means any device designed to inform or attract the attention of persons not on the premises on which the sign is located; provided, however, the following are not included in the application of the regulations herein:
A. Signs not exceeding one square foot in area and bearing only property numbers, post office box numbers, names of occupants of premises, or other identification of premises not having commercial connotations;
B. Flags and insignia of any government except when displayed in connection with commercial promotion;
C. Legal notices; identification, informational or directional signs erected, approved or required by governmental bodies;
D. Integral, decorative or architectural features of buildings, except letters, trademarks, moving parts or moving lights;
E. Signs directing and guiding traffic and parking on private property, and bearing no advertising matter, not exceeding four square feet in area.
27. “Sign area” means the surface area of a sign and shall be computed as including the entire area within a regular geometric form or combinations of regular geometric forms comprising all of the display area of the sign and including all of the elements of the matter displayed. Frames and structural members not bearing advertising matter shall not be included in computation of the surface area, except where such frames and structural members are used as an integral primary or subsidiary portion of the graphic, literal, or numerical display, such as forming a picture frame to facilitate continuity or providing contrasts to emphasize the intended purpose of the sign.
28. “Special event sign” means a sign advertising a special event that is sponsored by the City.
29. “Temporary sign” means any sign not permanently attached to the ground, wall or building, and intended to be displayed for a short and limited period of time.