Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1. A buffer area 30 feet wide, to the MS&R , is required and shall be preserved and maintained in its natural state;
3. The buffer area shall be restored as closely to its natural state as possible In areas where public safety or the delivery of public services precludes preservation of existing vegetation; and,
4. The buffer area is in lieu of the landscape border required along frontages under Section 7.6, and Screening Standards.
B. Measurement of the Buffer Area
1. The buffer area is measured from the future MS&R , except as follows.
2. Exception. Where the MS&R design includes installation of a , pedestrian way, or bike path, the buffer may be measured from the MS&R projected back of the , pedestrian way, or bike path if the buffer does not encroach more than ten feet into the future MS&R with the written permission of the City of Tucson Department of Transportation. The use of the MS&R is permitted only if the area can be landscaped.
The following are permitted in the buffer area:
1. or , if their area does not exceed 20% of the Buffer Area (Buffer Area). In this instance, the width of the Buffer Area is 30 feet in accordance with Section 5.3.4.A.1. For the purposes here, the Buffer Area is calculated as follows: Multiply the distance of the property’s along the measured at the by 30 feet. If, due to topographical or engineering constraints, the or exceeds 20% of the Buffer Area, the width of the Buffer Area shall be increased to accommodate the square footage resulting from the following calculation: (Distance of the along the measured at the - total width of or ) x 24 feet = Required Buffer Area in square feet;
2. Trenching for the placement of utility lines, if the area is revegetated in accordance with Section 5.3.4.D, of ;
3. An area not larger than 18 square feet and not exceeding 30 inches in height per or for the placement of utility transformers, pedestals, and service meters and hookups for ; and,
4. Selected vegetation may be removed when the Department of Transportation determines that removal is necessary for public safety if the removed plants are replaced with .
1. Any portion of the buffer area and the MS&R disturbed by activity shall be revegetated with .
2. Within the SCZ, excluding the buffer area, all disturbed areas on the that are and are not covered by permanent shall be revegetated with native plants, plants from the Drought Tolerant Plant List, or a combination of both.
3. In areas not visible from the Scenic Corridor , vegetation may consist of native plants indigenous to the or drought tolerant plant material. Oasis area material may also be planted within this area at the levels permitted by the ordinance.
or shall be no greater than a one foot rise or fall over a three foot length.
(Am. Ord. 11127, 11/6/2013)