Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The provisions of the R-3 District are intended to apply to an area of high-density residential development with large apartment houses. Lot, height and other building restrictions are intended to accommodate an intense degree of development, maintaining an adequate amount of open space for residential uses. Some nonresidential uses compatible with the character of the District or as accessory uses to serve high-density residential uses are also allowed.
(B) Permitted principal uses and structures are as for R-2, § 157.240, providing that there will be no more than 25 dwelling units per gross acre.
(C) Permitted accessory uses and structures are as for R-1AAA, § 157.195, and in addition:
(1) Parking lots and facilities in conjunction with one or more principal uses, provided that an opaque screen, maintained at all times in a sightly condition, be provided wherever the facilities abut a residential use; and
(2) Limited retail and service establishments when operated within a single complex of 40 or more units, including drug and sundry shops; confectionery and coffee shops; newsstand; personal services; delicatessen; eating and drinking establishments; laundry and similar uses; provided that no commercial display is visible from outside a principal building. The accessory use shall not exceed 2% of the gross floor area of a principal use.
(D) Permitted conditional uses are as for R-2, § 157.240, and in addition:
(1) Professional and general office building;
(2) Permitted uses or uses permissible by special exception exceeding 40 feet in height;
(3) Hospitals, clinics and nursing homes; and
(4) Educational and cultural institutions (museums, municipal libraries).
(E) Prohibited uses and structures are:
(2) All uses not specifically or provisionally permitted in this division; any use not in keeping with the residential character or professional character of the district; and
(3) Home occupations as an accessory use.
(F) Lot and structure requirements are:
Minimum lot area
12,000 square feet
Minimum lot width
Minimum lot depth
Maximum lot coverage
Minimum living or floor area
Same as for R-2, § 157.240
Minimum yard requirements
30 feet plus 3 feet for every 5 feet of building height over 40 feet
Side interior lot
15 feet plus 3 feet for every 5 feet of building height over 40 feet
Side corner lot
25 feet plus 3 feet for every 5 feet of building height over 40 feet
25 feet; 20 feet when abutting an alley; plus 3 feet for every 5 feet of building height over 40 feet
There shall be a minimum spacing of 30 feet between exterior walls of all habitable buildings upon the same site
(H) All riverfront properties with building construction plans submitted after September 1, 2011 are subject to the breezeway/visual corridor requirements as described in § 157.506 of the supplementary district regulations.
(2000 Code, § 66-371) (Ord. 75-01, passed 7-14-1975; Ord. 99-02, passed 3-23-1999; Ord. 2011-12, passed 11-1-2011; Ord. 2012-12, passed 11-27-2012) Penalty, see § 157.999