Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No more than the number of cannabis retailers authorized by section 11-456 shall operate within the City of Oxnard at any one time.
(C) Retailers shall verify the age and all necessary documentation of each individual to ensure the customer is not under the age of 18 years. If the potential customer is 18 to 20 years old, retailer shall confirm the customer’s possession of a valid doctor’s recommendation and state-issued medical marijuana card. Persons 18 to 20 years old who are unable to produce either form of medical documentation cannot purchase cannabis legally and are to be denied admittance to the retail facility. For adult-use purchases, retailers shall verify that all customers are 21 years of age or older for the purchase of cannabis or cannabis products.
(D) Entrances into the retailer shall be locked at all times with entry strictly controlled. A “buzz-in” electronic/mechanical entry system shall be utilized to limit access to and entry to the retail area to separate it from the reception/lobby area. Individuals must show their government-issued identification, and, in the case of medical cannabis facilities, their physician’s recommendation, or a cannabis card issued pursuant to Cal. Health and Safety Code, Section 11362.71 in order to gain access into the retailer. The government-issued identification and, if applicable, doctor’s recommendation or cannabis card must also be shown at the point of sale station at the time of purchase. Doctor recommendations are not to be obtained or provided at the retail location.
(E) Uniformed licensed security personnel shall be employed to monitor site activity, control loitering and site access, and to serve as a visual deterrent to unlawful activities. Security personnel may be allowed to carry firearms if authorized by the police chief.
(F) Retailers may have only that quantity of cannabis and cannabis products to meet the daily demand readily available for sale on-site in the retail sales area of the retailer. Additional product may be stored in a secured, locked area to which customers, vendors, and visitors shall not have access.
(G) All restroom facilities shall remain locked and under the control of management.
(H) Retailers authorized to conduct retail activities shall only serve customers who are within the licensed premises, or at a delivery address that meets the requirements of this subsection.
(1) The sale and delivery of cannabis goods shall not occur through a pass-through window or a slide-out tray to the exterior of the premises.
(2) Retailers shall not operate as or with a drive-in or drive-through at which cannabis goods are sold to persons within or about a motor vehicle.
(3) No cannabis shall be sold and/or delivered by any means or method to any person within a motor vehicle.
(4) All cannabis goods sold by a retailer shall be contained in child-resistant packaging.
(5) Retailers shall record point-of-sale areas and areas where cannabis goods are displayed for sale on the video surveillance system. At each point-of-sale location, camera placement must allow for the recording of the facial features of any person purchasing or selling cannabis goods, or any person in the retail area, with sufficient clarity to determine identity.
(6) A retail licensee who is engaged in retail sale shall hire or contract for security personnel who are at least 21 years of age to provide security services for the licensed retail premises. All security personnel hired or contracted for by the licensee shall be licensed by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services and shall comply with Cal. Bus. and Prof. Code, Chapters 11.4 and 11.5 of Division 3.
(I) Access to retailer premises -
(1) Access to the premises of a retail licensee/permittee shall be limited to individuals who are at least 21 years of age.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (I)(1) above, individuals who are at least 18 years of age and in possession of a valid physician’s recommendation or state-issued medical marijuana card shall be granted access to the premises of a retail licensee/permittee for the sole purpose of purchasing medicinal cannabis consistent with the physician’s recommendation.
(J) Authorized sales - A retailer shall only sell adult-use cannabis and adult-use cannabis products to individuals who are at least 21 years of age. A retailer shall only sell medicinal cannabis or medicinal cannabis products to individuals who are at least 18 years of age, but not yet 21, if those individuals are in possession of a valid physician’s recommendation. Medicinal cannabis sales to individuals 21 years of age and older are unrestricted.
(K) Limited access areas - A retailer shall establish limited-access areas and permit only authorized individuals to enter the limited-access areas. Authorized individuals include individuals employed by the retailer as well as any outside vendors, contractors, or other individuals conducting business that requires access to the limited access area. All individuals granted access to the limited access area shall be at least 21 years of age, and if not employed by the retailer, shall be escorted at all times by an employee of the licensee/permittee. A retailer shall maintain a log of all individuals who are not employees who are granted access to the limited access area. These logs shall be made available to the police chief or the development services director upon request.
(L) Operating hours of the store front retailer license shall be limited to the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 9:00 p.m., seven days a week or a reduced duration as stipulated through the discretionary land use permit.
(M) Parking requirements shall be in accordance with chapter 16, article X of the Oxnard city code - 1 parking space per 250 square feet or as stipulated in a city traffic engineer approved parking study.
(N) Store front/retail security requirements. All security measures required by section 11-477 (operational standards) are directly applicable to and binding on all commercial cannabis businesses, including all retailers.
(Ord. No. 2972, 2994)