Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Specific types of commercial cannabis businesses are subject to the following zoning and locational requirements:
(A) All cannabis manufacturing, testing, and distribution businesses have been conceptually identified on land use maps, with actual siting subject to land use siting criteria and buffer requirements stipulated in this article. Manufacturing, testing, and distribution facilities are conceptually permitted on property must be located on property zoned limited manufacturing (ML), light manufacturing (M1), heavy industrial (M2), and business and research park (BRP), as well as auto sales and service, business park, and commercial manufacturing zones within the Rose Santa Clara Corridor Specific Plan. Manufacturing, testing, and/or distribution facilities may also be located in the following specific plan areas subject to relevant specific plan requirements: Northeast Community Specific Plan, Sakioka Farms, Camino Real Business Park, McInnes Ranch Business Park Specific Plan, and Northfield Seagate Business Park Specific Plan.
(B) All cannabis retail dispensary businesses have been conceptually identified on land use maps, with actual siting subject to land use siting criteria and buffer requirements as stipulated in this subsection (B). Retailers are conceptually permitted in property zoned neighborhood shopping center (C-l), neighborhood shopping center planned development (C-l-PD), general commercial (C-2), general commercial planned development (C-2-PD), coastal neighborhood commercial (CNC), and commercial planned development (CPD), business park, retail commercial, and commercial manufacturing zones within the Rose Santa Clara Corridor Specific Plan. Retail dispensaries may also be located in the following specific plan areas subject to relevant specific plan requirements: RiverPark - commercial office, commercial convention, and commercial regional, Sakioka Farms, and Camino Real Business Park.
(C) Compliance with any specific plan requirements.
(D) The property on which any commercial cannabis business is located must also meet all of the following distance requirements:
(1) It shall be no closer than 600 feet of any of the following:
(a) Any school providing instruction in kindergarten or any grades 1 through 12, whether public, private, or charter, including pre-school, transitional kindergarten, and K-12.
(b) A commercial daycare center licensed by the city or county that is in existence at the time the license is issued, unless the State licensing authority or the city specifies a different radius.
(c) A youth center that is in existence at the time the license is issued, unless the State licensing authority or the city specifies a different radius.
(2) The distance specified in this subsection shall be the horizontal distance measured in a straight line from the property line of the identified use to the closest property line of the lot on which the cannabis use is located without regard to intervening structures.
(E) Each proposed commercial cannabis business use shall:
(1) Conform with the city’s general plan, any applicable specific plans, master plans, and design requirements.
(2) Comply with all applicable zoning, and specific plan requirements, and related development standards.
(3) Be constructed in a manner that minimizes odors to surrounding uses, and promotes quality design and construction, and consistency with the surrounding properties.
(4) Be adequate in size and shape to accommodate the yards, walls, fences, parking and loading facilities, landscaping and all items required for the development.
(5) Be served by highways adequate in width and improved as necessary to carry the kind and quantity of traffic such use will generate.
(6) Be provided with adequate electricity, sewerage, disposal, water, fire protection (sprinkler and alarm; retrofit when determined necessary by the fire marshal) and storm drainage facilities for the intended purpose.
(Ord. No. 2960, 2965, 2972, 2985, 2994)