Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose -
(1) The purpose of the HCI sub-zone is to provide, protect and encourage commercial fishing, sport fishing, recreational boating, and related uses at the Channel Islands Harbor for both residents and nonresidents of the city.
(2) This sub-zone is designed to assure that other uses do not preclude these uses, while allowing visitor uses which are incidental or subordinate to the principally permitted uses, consistent with the policies of the Oxnard coastal land use plan.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.15.1)
(B) Principally permitted uses - The principally permitted uses are commercial/sport fishing and recreational boating. The following categories are subject to the approval of a coastal development permit, pursuant to the provisions of section 17-57 of this chapter.
(1) Commercial sport fishing, launching, dry storage of boats, fish receiving and transferring facilities including storage, wholesale and retail sales, preparation for retail sales, and related office, hoist facilities, net drying and repair areas; and
(2) Recreational boating, launching, dry storage of boats, parking of boat trailers, washing of boats and saltwater engine cooling systems (where launching systems exist), boat and boat equipment sales, rentals, display, brokerage, charter offices, and minor repair.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.15.2)
(C) Secondary permitted uses - The following categories are subject to the approval of a development review permit, pursuant to the provisions of section 17-57 of this chapter.
(1) Visitor-serving uses: When clearly subordinate in their physical character and incidental to principally permitted uses: eating/drinking (serving alcoholic beverages) restaurant, cocktail lounge, eating/drinking (nonalcoholic) restaurant, café, fast-food facilities, marine and tourist-related retail shop, marine-related museum, tourist hotels and motels;
(2) Commercial fishing support, restroom, shower, laundry, caretaker's quarters, office, meeting room; and
(3) Other harbor-related uses: bait and tackle sales, boating and yacht club and clubhouse, boat sales yard, marine electronics sales and repair, marine engineering sales and repair, marine fuel sales, marine hardware and chandlery, marine supply store, sailing or scuba school.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.15.3)
(D) Property development standards -
(1) Maximum building height: two stories, not to exceed 25 feet.
(2) Minimum lot area: 2,400 square feet per dwelling unit.
(3) Front yard setback: 10 feet.
(4) Rear yard setback for lots abutting a public way or alley: 10 feet. No setback is otherwise required.
(5) Side yard setback:
(a) Interior side yard: none required.
(b) Street side yard: 10 feet.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.15.4)
(E) Applicable provisions - All uses shall be subject to the applicable standards of this chapter, including standards contained in the following sections:
(1) Section 17-5, General requirements;
(2) Article III, Specific Coastal Development and Resource Standards;
(3) Article IV, General Coastal Development and Resource Standards; and
(4) Article V, Administration.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.15.5)
(F) Performance standards/special requirements - No conditional use shall be permitted which causes the amount of harbor area developed for visitor-serving uses not directly related to boating to exceed 30% of the total harbor land area. As used in this division, “harbor area” means the land area of the Channel Islands Harbor owned and operated by the county, and neither just the land zoned “Harbor” nor the entire area of the city's Channel Islands Harbor LUP segment.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.15.6)
(Ord. No. 2095, 2716)