Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose - The purpose of the RP sub-zone is to protect, preserve and restore environmentally sensitive habitat areas within the coastal zone of the city. The major resource or habitat areas within the city’s coastal zone include but are not limited to wetlands, sand dunes, riparian habitats, endangered species habitats and marine habitats. Development within the RP sub-zone shall be consistent with Policies 6, 8, 10, 11, 12 and 13 of the certified Oxnard coastal land use plan, and Sections 30230, 30231, 30236 and 30240 of the 1976 Coastal Act. Additionally, resource protection and development within North Shore at Mandalay Bay shall be consistent with LCP Land Use Plan Policy No. 10.1.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.14.1)
(B) Conditionally permitted uses - The following uses which are nonstructural in nature are permitted subject to the approval of a coastal development permit, pursuant to the provisions of article V of this chapter:
(1) Formal ongoing education and scientific study;
(2) Formal ongoing light recreation activities (e.g., bird-watching or nature study);
(3) Primitive nonvehicular day use picnic facilities; and
(4) Diking, filling or dredging for restoration purposes only.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.14.2)
(C) RP sub-zone when used as an interim zoning designation -
(1) Undeveloped parcels of land designated with two or more sub-zone categories (including resource protection) on the land use maps of the Oxnard coastal land use plan shall be totally zoned RP on an interim basis until a specific plan is approved which is consistent with both the Oxnard coastal land use plan and all applicable provisions of this article.
(2) Where a sensitive resource area comprises only a part of a parcel or parcels under contiguous ownership, the city may permit an increase in the allowable density of the nonresource areas in return for the permanent preservation of the resource area. Density increases shall only apply for allowable uses as designated by the land use map of the Oxnard coastal land use plan, and such density increases shall only be granted if the result will be less environmentally damaging than the project of permitted density. Development adjacent to the resource area shall be sited and designed to mitigate any adverse impacts on the resource.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.14.3)
(D) Applicable provisions - All uses shall be subject to the applicable standards of this chapter, including standards contained in the following sections:
(1) Section 17-5, General requirements;
(2) Article III, Specific Coastal Development and Resource Standards;
(3) Article IV, General Coastal Development and Resource Standards; and
(4) Article V, Administration.
(`64 Code, Sec. 37-2.14.4)
(Ord. No. 2034, 2598, 2716)