Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a pedicab without first obtaining a valid driver's permit pursuant to the terms of this division.
(B) Each applicant for a permit required by this division must:
(1) Be at least 18 years of age;
(2) Possess eyesight correctable to 20/20 and not suffer from epilepsy, vertigo, heart disease or any other physical or mental condition which renders him or her unfit for safe operation of a passenger vehicle for hire;
(3) Be able to read, write and speak the English language and conduct financial transactions;
(4) Be neat and clean in dress and person;
(5) Not be addicted to the use of alcoholic beverages or controlled substances;
(6) Possess a valid North Carolina driver's license issued to the applicant; and
(7) Produce, at the applicant's expense, the applicant's court records, including any criminal record of the applicant in the applicant's country of origin. If the applicant has no criminal record, the applicant shall provide an affidavit indicating the lack of such record.
(C) Each applicant must also disclose whether the applicant has been charged with any criminal offense or infraction and produce evidence of the disposition thereof upon seeking issuance or renewal of a driver's permit. Failure to do so will result in the suspension or refusal to issue or renew a driver's permit.
(D) No application for a driver's permit shall be accepted from an applicant who has criminal charges pending against the applicant at the time of application. For purposes of this subsection, pending criminal charges shall not include traffic infractions.
(E) No application for a driver's permit shall be accepted from an applicant who does not meet all of the requirements stated in subsection (B) of this section.
(F) It shall be the duty of each permit holder to submit to the City Manager any change in information required to be submitted pursuant to this article.
(Ord. 17-08-09, passed 8-8-17)