Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The relative responsibilities of the owners of dwelling units and of the occupants of the dwelling units shall be as follows:
(1) Public spaces. Every owner of a building shall be responsible for maintaining in a reasonably clean and sanitary condition, the shared or public spaces of the building and premises thereof.
(2) Cleanliness. Every occupant shall be responsible for maintaining in a reasonably clean and sanitary condition that part of the dwelling unit and premises which he occupies and controls.
(3) Infestation. Every occupant shall be responsible for the extermination of any insects, rodents, or other pests infesting the dwelling unit; provided, however, that the owner shall be responsible for such extermination if, as a consequence of violations of the standards of fitness, the dwelling unit is not reasonably impervious to pests.
(4) Rubbish and garbage. Every occupant shall be responsible for disposing of his rubbish and garbage in a clean and sanitary manner by placing it in adequate facilities for such disposal.
(5) Plumbing. Every owner shall be responsible for providing adequate operable plumbing facilities, including an adequate water heater, and for maintaining such facilities in efficient operating condition; every occupant shall be responsible for exercising reasonable care in the use of such facilities and for maintaining such facilities in a clean and sanitary condition.
(6) Heating. Every owner shall be responsible for providing adequate operable facilities and appliances supplying heat throughout the dwelling unit in compliance with the standards of fitness; every occupant shall be responsible for exercising reasonable care in the use of such facilities and appliances.
(7) Care of premises. No occupant shall willfully destroy, deface or otherwise impair any of the facilities or equipment of the owner on the premises which they occupy and control, or any part of the building itself. Willful destruction of the premises by the occupant shall be deemed legal grounds for eviction.
(B) Every owner shall remain ultimately responsible for violations of responsibilities imposed upon him by this chapter or any other ordinance although a similar responsibility may also be imposed upon the occupant and although the occupant may have agreed to bear the responsibility imposed by ordinance upon the owner.
(Ord. O-1999-37, passed 6-15-99; Am. Ord. O-1999-61, passed 10-5-99)