Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be the function and duty of the Planning Board to make comprehensive surveys and studies of existing conditions and probable future development and prepare the plans for physical, social, and economic development as will best promote the public health, safety, morals, conveniences, or the general welfare as well as efficiency and economy in the development of the Town of Kenly.
(B) The Planning Board shall have the powers and duties given it by the General Statutes of North Carolina and the Town Council, including the power to:
(1) Make studies of the area within its jurisdiction and surrounding areas;
(2) Determine objectives to be sought in the development of the study area;
(3) Prepare and adopt plans for achieving objectives;
(4) Develop and recommend policies, ordinances, administrative procedures, and other means for carrying out plans in a coordinated and efficient manner;
(5) Advise the legislative body concerning the use and amendment of means for carrying out plans;
(6) Exercise any functions in the administration and enforcement of various means for carrying out plans that the Town Council may direct;
(7) Perform any other related duties that the Town Council may direct;
(8) Accept, receive, and disburse in furtherance of its functions any funds, grants, and services made available by the federal government and its agencies, the state government and its agencies, any local government and its agencies, and any private and civic sources, with concurrence of the Town Council; the Planning Board, with concurrence of the Town Council, may enter into and carry out contracts with the state and federal government or any agencies thereof under which financial or other planning assistance is made available to the municipality and may agree to and comply with any reasonable conditions that are imposed upon the assistance;
(9) Enter into and carry out contracts, with the concurrence of the Town Council, with any other city, county, or regional council or planning agency under which technical planning assistance is furnished; and, with the concurrence of the Town Council, may enter into and carry out contracts with any other city, county, or regional planning agency under which it agrees to pay the other local government or planning agency for technical planning assistance;
(10) Conduct the public hearings as may be required to obtain information necessary for the drafting, establishment, maintenance of a development plan for the Town of Kenly; and
(11) Promote public interest in and an understanding of its recommendations, and to that end it may publish and distribute copies of its recommendations and may employ the other means of publicity and education as it may deem necessary.
(C) The Planning Board shall have no power to incur any debt or obligation of the Town of Kenly nor shall it have any power to make any expenditure of funds of the Town of Kenly unless the funds are specifically provided for in the budget of the Town of Kenly and appropriation made for the purposes by the Town Council, or unless the incurring of the other obligation is otherwise approved by the Town Council.
(Ord. 63, passed 5-13-1980)