Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) As used in this section:
(1) "Shopping cart" means that type of basket, of wire or other construction on wheels, propelled by human power, commonly but not exclusively used for transporting articles of merchandise within or from a place of business and popularly known as a shopping cart.
(2) "Place of business" means a grocery store, supermarket, drugstore, dry goods store, department store, discount store, variety store or other retail establishment which supplies shopping carts for the use of its customers to transport articles of merchandise within or from such establishment.
(3) "Customer" means any person who enters a place of business for the purpose of purchasing, or inspecting with a view toward purchasing, articles of merchandise.
(4) "Parking lot" means any parcel of land used for parking vehicles or otherwise, adjoining or used in connection with a place of business, and owned or leased by the person, firm or corporation which is the owner, lessee or operator of such place of business or which is provided for the use of the customers of such place of business under any form of lease or other contractual arrangement.
(5) "Business premises" means a place of business and any parking lot related thereto.
(b) No person, firm or corporation, being the owner, lessee or in charge of a place of business shall leave, or permit to be left, his or its shopping cart or carts unattended within the boundaries of any parking lot. However, this section shall not be deemed to be violated if such person, firm or corporation, at reasonable frequent intervals, of not more than one hour each, during the hours such place of business is open to the public for business and within one hour after the closing of such place of business each day, removes his or its unattended shopping cart or carts from such parking lot.
(c) Not less than one hour following the close of business each day, any person, firm or corporation being the owner, lessee or operator of a place of business shall remove his or its unattended shopping carts from any parking lot. Such shopping carts shall, until such place of business is again open to the public for business, be placed within a locked enclosure or otherwise secured in place so as to prevent their unauthorized removal from such place of business.
(d) No person, firm or corporation being the owner, lessee or operator or in charge of a place of business shall remove or permit the removal by a customer or other person of a shopping cart from any business premises, and no customer or other person shall remove a shopping cart from any business premises.
(e) Any shopping cart found abandoned on any street, alley, sidewalk, tree lawn or other public place or in any parking lot after the close of business hours within the City may be impounded by the City. Any shopping cart which has been impounded may be reclaimed by the owner upon payment of ten dollars ($10.00) per shopping cart, which shall be paid into the General Fund of the City. Thirty days after mailing of notice by certified mail to the owner, and as to any shopping cart that is unidentifiable as to ownership, thirty days after having been impounded, any unclaimed shopping cart may be disposed of by the City in the manner provided by law for the disposition of abandoned property.
(f) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.
(Ord. 1975-207. Passed 12-9-75.)